What's new

Setting up IPv6 on RT-N56U Custom FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tempnet

Occasional Visitor
I'm having trouble setting up IPv6 on my router. Everything works fine as it had been (great job devs), also my ISP supports IPv7 6RD protocol as they lay out themselves as instructions for their specific modem that I have as transparent bridged. Since this is custom I don't expect a smooth, step by step approach to 'simplified" interface for the general public, lol but I wonder if there are any super specific settings under "WAN" that I have to enable/disable? Under "IPv6", everything is setup as I think it would be setup, connection to the internet exists but I see no IPv6 addressing present. Computer is all fine under network settings, modem is bridged and it specifically tells me that I cannot fiddle with IPv6 as it is bridged, perfect. So is there a specific step by step setting under or in combination of "WAN" and "IPv6" to make it work? Thanks.

I'm having trouble setting up IPv6 on my router. Everything works fine as it had been (great job devs), also my ISP supports IPv7 6RD protocol as they lay out themselves as instructions for their specific modem that I have as transparent bridged. Since this is custom I don't expect a smooth, step by step approach to 'simplified" interface for the general public, lol but I wonder if there are any super specific settings under "WAN" that I have to enable/disable? Under "IPv6", everything is setup as I think it would be setup, connection to the internet exists but I see no IPv6 addressing present. Computer is all fine under network settings, modem is bridged and it specifically tells me that I cannot fiddle with IPv6 as it is bridged, perfect. So is there a specific step by step setting under or in combination of "WAN" and "IPv6" to make it work? Thanks.

Did you try rebooting after enabling IPv6 and setting the mode that you want?

Yes, I I rebooted and tried all sorts of things to "trigger it". But I happen to have other problems other than trying to have IPv6. Seems that WAN keeps disconnecting intermittently like previous 1.1.2.x-xxx versions. Don't want to change topic here but once I have that fixed, I'll come back to making IPv6 work.

Well it appears that the WAN disconnects have something to do with IPv6 6RD settings. As soon as I activate IPv6 and mess with the settings, apply, and see what happens... no IPv6 connection, test fails and WAN starts to have intermittent disconnects though with internet connection. That must be the problem messing with my wan stability. I completely restored 3.0.3.0-025 and started settings from scratch and it seems to hold with IPv6 untouched. Once activated 6RD and later deactivated, WAN problem arises. 3.0.3.0-026 is out by the time of this post but doesn't seem to address anything.

Ok so it seems I haven't yet solved Padavan only issues over WAN disconnects. So I loaded official 3.0.0.4.260 and it seems to hold well, looks like it is grabbed from Padavan? Anyways, what I did was setup IPv6 on the modem only along PPPoE and DHCP, everything on standalone and it seems to connect perfectly, WAN that is because LAN always worked for awhile. But as soon as IPv6 data is inputted in the firmware (6RD Protocol) no IPv6 appears, though there is regular WAN IPv4 connection. So it seems I have to play a bit more unless it's a firmware handling alongside the 'dual stack' IPv4 management.

Ok everything is now stable but I still can't connect. If I scroll through the different IPv6 protocols (Native Static, Native DHCPv6, etc..) The PPPoE logo icon are all green, but the 6RD settings which my ISP requires is in orange. I have filled all the settings except Tunnel MTU and Tunnel TTL which kept at default but still no connection. I have tried Asus Official FW .260 and 6RD protocol works perfect. Why can't Padavan connect?