What's new

Setup Help: WD 1TB Passport plugged into ASUS AC3100 Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CyberAthlete

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,
long time lurker and reader but first post.

Firstly this forum has been very informative and helpful in the various questions I've asked in Google and the answers I've received here. thank you all for that.

My Current Setup:
  • Asus AC3100 (Wireless Router)
  • WD 1TB Passport hard drive plugged into the USB 3.0 port of AC3100
Issue
I want to be able to setup this hard drive as such so it shows up as a regular drive on any of the Windows/Mac computers around the house. I was partially successfully in setting this up as a DLNA but I couldn't paste any files into the drive nor delete or create any folders.

How can I setup an external drive on the Router so I can drag and drop files and folders and read/write content on that drive from any machine around the house. Thank you!

SAMBA Setup.jpg

I don't know the AC3100 interface but it should be similar to the Rt-Ac3200 I have.

In my example the share name is \\Router\Data1. You can map this to a drive letter in Windows.
Folder Data1 is in the root of the attached drive. User id and password required for access.

A Router is not a NAS - so one isn't going to get the level of performance that one would expect to see even on a single bay ARM based dedicated NAS.

That being said - the CPU cycles that a Router attached USB drive are cycles that aren't available for things like, well, routing?

That's not an issue as from what I've read and heard they have employed dedicated hardware for USB 3.0 functionality so it won't take away from routing duties. Any way, I was able to figure out how to set it up in SAMBA. Created a new user ID/Password and was able to see it as a shared drive on the network. Thanks!

Transfer speeds were 35-50 mbytes/sec

That's not an issue as from what I've read and heard they have employed dedicated hardware for USB 3.0 functionality so it won't take away from routing duties.

A shared USB disk on an Asus Router is not a NAS - this is the NAS subforums, so please stay on topic.

There are four dedicated Asus Wireless Subforums that are filled with knowledgeable members on all things related to Asus Routers (and their features).