What's new

Shared media server setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chojo

Occasional Visitor
Hi SNB's community,
I would the need of the community to understand and get it right my next shared media center project. It is divised in 9 points that will explain clearly (well, sorry for my poor english) my situation. I would like to thank you right away for your time.

1- What files with be stored on my server?

- Music (400gig of mp3 v0, so I will have many thumbnails to index)
- HD Photos
- 1080p movies
- Documents

2- What network setup do I need?

Well, I want a machine that will serve as a backup for my whole familly (5 differents houses). So I want that if my brother want to store his own movie collection, that he could actually see the movie at his own house. Same thing with all the files type mentionned above.

3- What is your file backup plan?
I would plug an external harddrive to backup things manually.

4- Do I need RAID 1?
No. I would like to have the more storage possible. Currently, I own a WD Red 4T. I'm only using 2T of the 4T at the moment. So If I'm gonna get a two bay, i'm just simply gonna use it with multiple non-raid drives.

5- Whats applications do I need?
I wanna use Plex or Emby, but I prefer Plex. I'm currently owning a Playstation 4 that can use Plex app.

6- Transcode or to not Transcode?
The famous question... That I simply can't understand very well yet ahah.

If I plug the machine via HDMI on my TV and use Kodi on my machine, do I will need to transcode my files if I wanna play lets say movie on my TV?

If share my movie collections to another houses, and they use a Chromecast or a Roku, do my machine will need to transcode on the fly the files?

7- What type of setup do I need to accomplish this project?
With all the things said above, should I ...
- go on a QNAP NAS (HDMI features), install a Plex server on it and plug the NAS on my TV?
- go on a beefy NAS that can transcodse without HDMI, play my movie collection on my Playstation 4?
- go on a lower-end NAS and pre-transcode every movie in a universal format that an android box can read?

8- Nota Bene
I owned before a QNAP HS-251 that I sold (for a little profit) because it was a pain to use in HD Station mode pluged on my TV. When I was searching songs or just moving through the menu, everything was so sluggish (some lag between all action made). It was the 1gig RAM version. I'm searching for something a little bit better this time.

9- Conclusion
With all said above, its kinda a wall of text, but I feel that it explain my situation pretty well. What solution / Setup you would propose me to accomplish my shared media server project?

For some reason, I can't edit my 1st post.

I would like to add to the point # 7
- build my own HTPC
- go with a NUC

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!