What's new

Shibby - Real seamless roaming possible or Ubiquiti HW needed for that?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mensa

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
is it possible to configure one router in the first floor (RT-AC3200) and one router (RT-N66U in AP mode) in groud floor, that the clients can roam seamless between them? So without loosing any ping and without any latency penalty.
How to configure that? Or is this only possible with Ubiquite hardware, like desribed here as Zero-Handoff Roaming?
Tomato is so powerful and I hope, that it's also powerful enough to do that seamless roaming. Or is that hardware or client related?

Seamless roaming is something only found in business-class products.

Zero Handoff is a bit over-rated, as some clients basically don't do it very well...

Ok. So which suggestions do you have to get "nearly" seamless roaming?

I have two (or later maybe 3) Asus Wifi routers in a big house with 2 floors. The main router (RT-AC3200) is connected through network cables with the additional routers (RT-N66U) and these are running in Access Point mode (WAN and DHCP disabled). The question is, how to configure the WIFI on each device, to get best results?
Is my strategy the right one?
SSID: everywhere the same name
Channel 2.4 GHz: Everywhere 11
Channel 5GHz: Everyhwere 153
Security: Everywhere WPA 2 Personal with the same key

It is working, but I am unsure if it makes sense to use the same channels everywhere!? I read that roaming is much faster, if it's on the same channel and on the other hand I read that every AP should have it's own channel.

What do you think?

SSID: everywhere the same name
Channel 2.4 GHz: Everywhere 11
Channel 5GHz: Everyhwere 153
Security: Everywhere WPA 2 Personal with the same key

Thanks a good start - I usually park 2.4 on a single channel to be nice to neighbors, and 5GHz I allocate as needed..

All 5 GHz channels are non overlapping with others, right?
So does it make any difference which one I use?
But should also be the same channel everywhere, to roam faster, right?

BTW: Is 160 MHz bandwith already supported by any Asus router / tomato?

All 5 GHz channels are non overlapping with others, right?
So does it make any difference which one I use?
But should also be the same channel everywhere, to roam faster, right?

Depends on the client... but generally I use 2.4 as a backstop in case a client can't catch 5GHz.. which happens...

Might want to review the Main Site on the SSID topic...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!