What's new

Should I swap my ZenWiFi-AX? Suggestions sought, please.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

PaulS

Occasional Visitor
I've a ZenWiFi-AX (XT8?) with 2 x RT-AX92Us running AiMesh. I've had all sorts of problems with some security cameras and at least part of the difficulties is a strange 2.4GHz channel on the XT8 giving random ping times (base level of 2-3msecs but every few seconds delay goes out to 200msecs or more). ASUS have agreed it's a hardware problem and I've a refund. My question is, what should I replace it with; another XT8 or "something" different. AiMesh (XT8 to each AX92 is Ethernet, not wireless. Not looking for wireless gaming super-duper speeds as have a lot of Ethernet cabling, just want something reliable (for a change). I've had my fair share of issues with the XT8 but other than the 2.4MHz band, it's been OK since the recent update. Any advice or suggestions, please? TIA, Paul.

How is your network running now without it? Keep the cash instead. :)

I need the third "node". So using another AX92U is an option, but I'm not sure what I'd lose (if anything). The 5GHz Guest is useful to me (although disappointed like many, apparently, that you only get the Guest on the Internet router and not the others).

Thanks, L&D! I didn't know that you could do that on the AX92s; is that ASUS firmware or Merlin code? I guess I could get a third AX92 to replace the XT8 as the main router. Is the AX92 AiMesh code good/stable?

The latest seems to be from what I read on the forums here. I don't use them myself.

The RMerlin supported routers I do have experience with have been stable (enough!) since RMerlin started supporting them. :)

The 2x RT-AX86U's (with 386.1 Beta 5) in wired AiMesh mode are currently the best network hardware I've ever used.

Great info, thank you L&LD. Maybe I'll just get another AX92U and keep all the hardware the same, especially if you've heard the AiMesh is good. Where do you source Beta code from?
Thanks again....

I source it from this link, but for your model today, you will want to see the Asus main site or the link below.

RT-AX92U|Whole Home Mesh WiFi Systems|ASUS Global

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!