What's new

Should I upgrade from an RT N66U to an RT-AC87U ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan-H

Regular Contributor
I have an opportunity to buy an RT AC87U for $150 new-in-box from a friend.

One reason is I'd like to experiment with custom firmware but not without a working backup.
The other reason would be to boost performance to a desktop that I cannot easily get on our wired network.

The desktop is on 2.4Ghz wireless N. Performance is OK, but not great.

Distance from router to desktop is about 50 - 70 feet (15 to 20 meters) upstairs with 2-3 walls of wood/drywall between.

Will 5Ghz AC improve the performance to the desktop? I know it will need a new WiFi card. Any suggestions? system is a core i7-4770 / Z87 chipset Windows 8.1 and has an available PCI x1 slot.

If the performance seems worth it, then I'd explore alternate firmware.

Opinions?

Unless the friend is willing to allow you to test it for at least a couple of weeks in your environment before committing to it, I would say 'no thank you' to your 'friend'.

The low price will not mitigate the long standing and continuous issues some others have with this model. Even if it seems like the firmware is finally able to make a breakthrough for it (after reading the beta firmware threads for the RT-AC87U for these last few months).

You don't state what router you have now, nor what the client device is either. Nor do you state what you consider is only 'OK' performance.

But in general, yes, an AC class router will improve performance over an N class router. But not significantly at the longest range or with the most obstacles between the router and the client (but that depends on a case by case basis, all WiFi environments are different).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-55-3_hgg-final-mod.26524/page-2#post-199549

Asus RT-N66U running the latest "released" asus firmware

client interface:
Dell Wireless Wifi Card Link 802.11 a/g/n + Bluetooth 4.0 FXP0D DW1703
Dell DP/N:0FXP0D
Chipset: Atheros AR9004WB-1NG
Chip 1: Atheros AR9485

I'll run some tests and post results.

The remote computer is used for gaming and streaming. I think wired is the right solution, just harder.

edit: Thanks for the feedback on that unit, and the link. I'll do some more reading/research.

Last edited:
I have an opportunity to buy an RT AC87U for $150 new-in-box from a friend.

I would say thanks, but no thanks... read thru the Asus AC forums, the 87U is a bit troublesome for some, quarrelsome for many...

Ok, thanks.

TBH, the right answer is to drill a hole and run some wire from downstairs to upstairs.

Ok, thanks.

TBH, the right answer is to drill a hole and run some wire from downstairs to upstairs.

And for the future, the 'latest 'released' Asus firmware' is not very informative of what firmware you have installed. ;)

And for the future, the 'latest 'released' Asus firmware' is not very informative of what firmware you have installed. ;)

Understood.

So the full build number is what you are looking for? eg Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.376_3861

What I meant was the latest, non-beta version on Asus' website but I get it that there are a lot of versions out there.

tnx

To answer one of your questions, with 50-70 ft separation and 2 or 3 walls between the computer and the router, 5 GHz performance will be less than 2.4. 5 GHz range is really killed by walls.

I am curious about this as well. I currently have an RT-N66U running merlins 378.54_2 and I have noticed that I am losing wifi more often on my blu ray player upstairs. So I am thinking it might be time for something a bit newer with better range. The bedroom isn't far from the router maybe about 35 feet in a straight line. through the floor. I'm thinking about going to best buy and picking up an RT-AC87R and seeing how it works and if I don't like it return it.

So I ended up going to Best Buy yesterday and picking up an RT-AC87U and put Merlins 378.55 on it and so far it's working quite well. I got the geek squad protection on it so they said if I have any issues they will replace it and if they don't have that model they will replace it with the newest model. So I'm wondering did I make a bad choice? I like the router but also know the 5G is an issue with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk