What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

David William

New Around Here
It just came in my attention that NetGear released it new Wi-Fi 6 Extender: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/netgear-intros-tri-band-wi-fi-6-router-and-mesh-extender.58388/

My question is: What if I connect the Netgear AX600 wifi extender/router with my AC router will I able to get better Wi-Fi coverage and speed?

I am confused in deciding the Wi-Fi 6 routers; should I invest in such an expensive router or not!

I already have AX supported smartphone and planning to upgrade laptops network card to 802.11ax. Also I don't have much devices in my apartment, just a Laptop, phone, tablet (which rarely use), and a smart TV which i believe is impossible to upgrade, maybe there will be external smart TV stick with wifi 6 support in the future but why do I need a dongle with a android TV.

Anyhow that's isn't an issue.
What I need is crazy fast network speed without any drops, my network speed is 100 Mbp/s.

Any suggestions?
Found this: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/tp-link-launches-the-archer-ax50-wi-fi-6-router.58917/
and few other here: https://lookgadgets.com/best-wi-fi-6-routers/

Last edited:
What I need is crazy fast network speed without any drops, my network speed is 100 Mbp/s
I assume you mean your Internet service speed is 100 Mbps? Further assuming most of your traffic is Internet then 100 Mbps is your "pinch point". Look for devices getting less than 100 and begin your re-engineering from there.

802.11ac / 5 GHz can easily provide 100 Mbps throughput. So you don't need to move to WiFi 6 for speed. Coverage is unlikely to be improved since transmit power limits are the same.

WiFi6 devices can achieve higher throughput on 2.4 GHz due to support for higher link rates. But with that band so overcrowded, you may not see any improvement.

The other key feature of WiFi6, OFDMA, is a work in progress. At some point in the future, it might help improve performance when many devices are simultaneously in use. But right now, it is not working that well, at least from the testing I have done.

Save your money for now.

802.11ac / 5 GHz can easily provide 100 Mbps throughput. So you don't need to move to WiFi 6 for speed. Coverage is unlikely to be improved since transmit power limits are the same.

WiFi6 devices can achieve higher throughput on 2.4 GHz due to support for higher link rates. But with that band so overcrowded, you may not see any improvement.

The other key feature of WiFi6, OFDMA, is a work in progress. At some point in the future, it might help improve performance when many devices are simultaneously in use. But right now, it is not working that well, at least from the testing I have done.

Save your money for now.
Thanks for the advice; but after spending fews weeks on Wi-Fi guide, I think buy one.
Just for fun, and to see if it is worth to upgrade to AX Router.

Just for fun, and to see if it is worth to upgrade to AX Router.

What do you expect to see? You'll get the same 100Mbps your ISP provides. You don't even need your own router. Your ISP provided one is perfectly fine with 5 devices in an apartment. What better WiFi coverage is needed for? And what crazy network speeds are going to be useful for? I don't see the point to spend few hundred dollars for something that won't improve anything.

Last edited:
What do you expect to see? You'll get the same 100Mbps your ISP provides. You don't even need your own router. Your ISP provided one is perfectly fine with 5 devices in an apartment. What better WiFi coverage is needed for? And what crazy network speeds are going to be useful for? I don't see the point to spend few hundred dollars for something that won't improve anything.

I do get your point :)
But I'm kind of person who likes to waste money. I bought S10+ the day it released, and after few month I placed pre-order for Note 10, for no reason.
My point is there's a new technology that I like to try :) for no reason or maybe I like to stay ahead!

I have phone that supports AX standard and place pre-order for Surface Pro which also support Wi-Fi 6 and I am definitely going to buy a new laptop by the end of 2019.

... I'm kind of person who likes to waste money. I bought S10+ the day it released, and after few month I placed pre-order for Note 10, for no reason.
My point is there's a new technology that I like to try :) for no reason or maybe I like to stay ahead!
I have phone that supports AX standard and place pre-order for Surface Pro which also support Wi-Fi 6 and I am definitely going to buy a new laptop by the end of 2019.
Actually as a kind of trailing edge type of guy I do appreciate that. It's pioneers like you who get the kinks worked out for the rest of us : -)