What's new

Shuttle KD20 some files missing once loaded after copy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Re your hosed up Windows... I use Acronis to image my drive every week or so. Automated. Bun-saver.
And I use Acronis to CLONE the drive to another drive (drives are cheap). So when the file system gets hosed (malware, etc) just boot the clone. Or clone the backup to the hosed up one. And use the drive images to catch-up.

Most people don't backup. I do. And my VIP files have 1-2-3 backups. One of which is my NAS.
Last time I had to format/reinstall was 10+ years ago.

Try running

/sfc scannow

It may not work, but I've had good success running that. Win7+ supports it. It'll take awhile to run though, so beware.

Re your hosed up Windows... I use Acronis to image my drive every week or so. Automated. Bun-saver.
And I use Acronis to CLONE the drive to another drive (drives are cheap). So when the file system gets hosed (malware, etc) just boot the clone. Or clone the backup to the hosed up one. And use the drive images to catch-up.

I backup files on this machine but I don't image it because it's not an essential workstation. If it takes me a couple of weeks to get around to fixing it. Imaging it has never really been worth the effort, although I might consider doing it now since I've spent um-teen hours on this and couldn't find a solution.

Try running

/sfc scannow

It may not work, but I've had good success running that. Win7+ supports it. It'll take awhile to run though, so beware.

One of the first things I did. It's not an OS-level issue, it's contained within the Windows Update subsystem. So the machine works just fine, you just can't install any further updates.

Funny how a lot of folks that do network and app development use Mac's - it's a fairly pow-pow-powerful platform :D

I suppose I consider myself as WASP - Windows As a Secondary Platform - it has its purposes, and Win7, like XP before it, is a pretty good platform for productivity use, but most apps I use there, I also have on the Mac... Win8, while under the hood is pretty awesome, the MetroUI is pretty jarring, and this has hurt MSFT - but they're getting it, so Win10 is better.

Yeah, the Windows Registry sucks for a single machine, it's obtuse, and not very friendly most of the time - HKEY Local Machine/blah, blah, blah - until you need to push something out to 200/10,000 computers, then it makes sense...

No different than .plist files on Mac, or .cfg sometimes...

Anything is better than BATCH files on pre-NT boxes :D :D :D

I've got one Windows machine right now that has a corrupt folder in \SoftwareDistribution and now Windows Update doesn't work. I've tried dozens of Microsoft and 3rd party-recommended solutions and none of them have worked.

Had this issue myself some time back - it's ugly, as the Machine really wants to update, but can't...

There was a way to go into /Windows/somewhere - nuke a bunch of files in SafeMode, as it's generally an update that is corrupt - forget the process at the moment, but once I did that, everything generally worked - much easier than a Nuke and Pave operation (Wipe/Reinstall)

Yeah, I did that. And I took the files needed off of another machine of the exact same HW/SW build and installed them manually. It's just plain broken. I've probably spent 20 hours trying to fix it, for a machine that hardly ever gets used. :mad:

If you image (e.g., store to NAS), then even the non-critical computer can be restored in 15 minutes.
Wipe drive and reinstall with downloading MS updates, reinstall apps, find lost apps, takes at least half a day and causes me angst. So I preclude needing to do that!

Like I said, I'll probably be imaging it in the future. It gets booted up maybe once a week or less, so imaging it didn't really seem to be worth it.

FWIW, all of these issues started with Microsoft's (arguably unethical, ahem!) cloaked KB update/upgrade to Windows 10 advertisement...

Dat derail though...Gone for less than 7 days, thread is now in China.

Update: I have began the rsync over the network. I did not have access to my normal ubuntu box. I dusted off an old P4 system and ran ubuntu live and have been rsyncing hardcore pretty much since Saturday morning. I am still not done. I am about 2.2TB out of the total 2.6 though so not too much longer to suffer through. Hitting 20MB transfer rate, some files are causing the rsync to hang and I just have to kick it and start the command over again and it eventually gets through those files. This did not happen on my other system, I am going to chalk it up to old hardware no likey.

I have learned:
The fan works on the NAS. I have never had that fan come on, but with the 48+ hour transfer, summer heat, and close proximity to the dryer. (The NAS is in the utility room where all the network drops terminate). I was not able to stream while the transfer was going, but I guess I could chalk that up to the constant slamming it was getting from the transfer and the heat. I do not recall ever having issues streaming from the NAS as a source from an ATV1 which was also running transmission and performing an rsync to the NAS every 3 hours. However, that was also using the compression flag so I am going to assume that wasn't slamming the NAS with 20MB/s. I think the ATV1 is also limited to a 100megbit interface.

I think if I tried compression it would either take a month to backup or the old p4 would just crash out the live cd or within a months time the p4 would die. Last time it was on was circa 2012. (its a 2006 built system)

I have to laugh at how I try to save $$$ and energy by running a NAS over a full blown server, and running something like a Pi or an ATV instead of a laptop on at all times. Then I have to have a desktop on for 4+ days just to get the data backed up and then put back on the NAS. Which might have possibly negated all the savings in the first place. Hence the reason why I tried to do a local transfer to begin with when I started this thread. It saves my precious time and some energy transferring at 120 MB/s (roughly 7 Hours) vs 20 MB/s (roughly 42 hours+). At this point I would say it is closer to 65 hours considering the amount of times the transfers stopped and I didn't realize.

Moral, don't try to do things the way they make sense. -_- Faster is not always better.

Cheers,
-Wooley

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!