What's new

Significantly slow download speed but no impact on upload speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

atbash

New Around Here
Hi RMerlin,
First, thank you for the amazing work. I've been a happy user for over 6 months on my ASUS RT-68U.

Since last week I have had a strange issue. The download speed to WAN when connected either wireless or wired to the router is extremely slow (less than 1Mbps) while upload speeds remain at 40-70 Mbps. I do not have QoS enabled. I have spent the last couple of days trolling forums and settings but to no benefit. Without the router (i.e. direct connection to my fibre box) i get download speeds of upto 75 Mbps. Also I don't notice any anomaly in memory consumption, cpu usage or sirq.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

I would suggest the following:

1) Remove any USB devices and disable any services that was using them.
2) Reboot and see if there is any change.

If not then,

3) Go to Administration > Restore/Save/Upload Setting and save your current settings
4) Download John's NVRAM utility (http://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r19.19521/) and make a backup with that.
5) Factory reset your router
6) Do the most minimal configuration of the router and see if the problem has gone away.
7a) If it hasn't then it doesn't appear to be a configuration issue so restore your settings from 3)
7b) If it has then restore your settings from 4) and see if that fixes it. If not you'll probably have to do a factory reset and reapply all your settings one at a time until you find the source of the problem.

This is really wierd. I have done a factory reset on the router and still have the same issue. Only thing configured is the WAN and WIFI. Everything else is disabled but I still only get max download speed of 2.5 Mbps but upload is upto 45 Mbps. Feeling very frustrated now :(

Very strange.

If you go to Tools > System Information and then look under Network/Ethernet Ports what is the Link State of the WAN port and the LAN port your PC is plugged into?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only other thing that comes to mind, although it seems unlikely, is maybe your ISP is deliberately throttling you. Perhaps they provision the line based on your MAC address and you had previously cloned your PCs MAC on the router. In which case the answer would be either a) power everything for at least 30 minutes and then try again, or b) clone the MAC address of the PC that gets full speed. Who is your ISP?

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!