What's new

Simple Question, best long range Wireless router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IPOPOX

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

I need to buy the best long range wireless router, I have a $350 budget. My house has 2 floors and 5 rooms each floor, sorry I am not sure about Sq feet.

I am thought in a mesh system but I don't want to have issues of be connected to the wrong "AP" or slow switches from "AP" to "AP".

I am not a heave user just 8 devices connected and casual gaming in PS4.

Any advice?
Thanks a lot

No device can beat physics.

That's sounds like a large residence, with plenty of walls. Almost the worst conditions for a standalone router, depending on materials involved.

There's a difference between standalone router, APs (wireless devices that connect back to main network via wired) and "mesh" (wireless devices that form a system wirelessly).

Professionals would always favor wired devices in general, so standalone or APs.

For that budget, you could even a get a Ubiquiti Unifi AP system: USG + UAP-AC-Lite + Cloud Key + managed PoE Switch. If coverage is not enough, you just add another Unifi AP like the Lite or the new nano-HD.

If for some reason, you want a traditional consumer standalone router, you could try the Asus RT-AC86U in the center of the upper floor and if is not enough then add another in AiMesh mode. But this ends up being the same as a proper AP solution, except without the management and visibility and for more cost. Also, you cannot extend AiMesh beyond 3 devices.

If for some reason, you want a traditional consumer standalone router, you could try the Asus RT-AC86U in the center of the upper floor

I know the Asus RT-AC86U is everybody's favourite router on these forums but it is NOT the best router when it comes to wifi range and speeds. The likes of the Netgear R7800, Netgear R9000, Synology AC2600 et al blow the AC86U out of the water for wifi range. OP, you're better off going for something like the Netgear R7800.

I know the Asus RT-AC86U is everybody's favourite router on these forums but it is NOT the best router when it comes to wifi range and speeds. The likes of the Netgear R7800, Netgear R9000, Synology AC2600 et al blow the AC86U out of the water for wifi range. OP, you're better off going for something like the Netgear R7800.

I favor those Qualcomm 4x4 WiFi routers in general too, but the (very real) risk in these circumstances is that no single device can do everything for them due to pure physics and government regulations on wireless power. There is also not such a large difference that it makes Asus routers unusable at max range, which is what you are making it sound like!

So, if they have to add another standalone device, Asus with AiMesh wins among consumer routers.

I've also already pointed out to them the far better alternative for non-consumer routers which lies within their budget, i.e. Ubiquiti.

That said, nothing is stopping the OP from trying out all three solutions for maximal coverage. In order of "effort" required:

1. Netgear R7800 (if you want set it and forget it) OR Synology RT2600ac (if you like to poke around in your router)
2. 2x Asus RT-AC86U in AiMesh or AP mode
3. 2x Ubiquiti UAP-AC-Lite (or nanoHD)

Then feel free to report back with your findings. :)

Last edited:
Like umarmung said no device can beat physics. Also bear in mind it’s not just the power of the radio transmitting that matters, the client has to have sufficient power to reply. It’s an old article but I still refer people to this Tim wrote many years ago.
Short answer , more low power APs in the right place.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/bas...516-why-high-power-routers-dont-improve-range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone
Unfortunately I am not able to wire in the lower floor.
So, I can buy the Netgear R7800 and then (if necessary) I can add to the lower floor my actual router (which sucks Belking N600) as a bridge. If I am not wrong I could do this without wire the lower floor router.
Correct?

Thanks again guys I really appreciate all your insights

The other option is to look at a mesh system like Velop, Orbi or the Asus AiMesh (so you’re doing a wireless backhaul between the floors). The nice thing is you can start out with 1 and then add more downstairs as you need them.

I’m a Velop customer but if I had my time over again I’d go with a regular Asus high performance router at the main floor and add aimesh capable devices later. (Best of both worlds)

The other option is to look at a mesh system like Velop, Orbi or the Asus AiMesh (so you’re doing a wireless backhaul between the floors). The nice thing is you can start out with 1 and then add more downstairs as you need them.

I’m a Velop customer but if I had my time over again I’d go with a regular Asus high performance router at the main floor and add aimesh capable devices later. (Best of both worlds)

my fear about the mesh system is the "latency" that could exist when your devices determinate which AP should be connected.

So, I believe that I will go with a Netgear R7800 0r a Linksys EA9500, what do you think?

The client roaming / selecting APs will be entirely down to the signal strength so unless it drops below -70 I don’t think it will even start looking. As long as the backhaul is solid it shouldn’t make any real difference which one it connects to.

Of the two, I would personally go with the Linksys, but it’s a personal preference (there are people who will no doubt say the Netgear). The thing I like about the ASUS is you can turn a regular router into a mesh in software , which is something unique at the moment that none of the other vendors offer.

Thanks for your input , after read this I decided to go for an Orbi RBK50 system.
I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again to everyone.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!