What's new

Simple routing problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thorgear

Regular Contributor
I'm trying to add a new device (WS1) to my network. Everything works fine, except WS1 and WS2 won't talk to each other. I think I'm missing something obvious. Can someone give please me a clue? This is my configuration:
Code:
 ISP   +-----+ 10.0.2.1    10.0.2.2 +-----+ 10.0.1.1                     
-------| GW  |----------------------| RT  |----------10.0.1.0/24     
       +-----+                      +-----+                             
          |                            |                                           
          | 10.0.2.3/22                | 10.0.1.3/22                 
       | WS1 |                      | WS2 |

Static route on GW: 10.0.1.0/24 -> 10.0.2.2
GW is a Tomato RT66. RT is a Merlin AC68.

I think I'm missing something obvious. Can someone give please me a clue?

WS1 and WS2 are on different subnets - and the 10dot block means they're local... are you trying to keep WS1 and WS2 separated (which might be... I wouldn't assume)....

Is RT configured as a gateway? if so, then it's more than just a router - take the NAT out, and RIP'it, and things might work, but this depends on how AsusWRT plays with routers when it's not a gateway...

WS1 and WS2 are on different subnets - and the 10dot block means they're local... are you trying to keep WS1 and WS2 separated (which might be... I wouldn't assume)....
Hi Sfx. Yep, I'm trying to keep them separate. 10.0.1.x has been populated and working with 10.0.2.1 for a long time. WS1 is new.

Is RT configured as a gateway? if so, then it's more than just a router - take the NAT out, and RIP'it, and things might work, but this depends on how AsusWRT plays with routers when it's not a gateway...
RT is setup as just a router - no FW/NAT. Everything has been playing nice for months. It's the first time I've added a device to .2.x, so I'm seeing this problem for the first time.

FYI, everyone sees everyone, except WS1.

RT is setup as just a router - no FW/NAT. Everything has been playing nice for months. It's the first time I've added a device to .2.x, so I'm seeing this problem for the first time.

FYI, everyone sees everyone, except WS1.

Well - it should work...

Wonder if this is odd stuff that's been reported off-on with AsusWRT and things similar with port forwarding/NAT - it's not a common setup with what you have going on there.... seems like it still wants to be a gateway and not a router per se...

Well - it should work...

Wonder if this is odd stuff that's been reported off-on with AsusWRT and things similar with port forwarding/NAT - it's not a common setup with what you have going on there.... seems like it still wants to be a gateway and not a router per se...
You're probably right. Just a thought: .1.x can see .2.1, and the world, but it can't see WS1. Does that make it a Tomato problem?

What did you mean when you said, "RIP'it"?

What did you mean when you said, "RIP'it"?

Me being a little fastitous - RIP should allow the AsusWRT to learn the routes and who the GW is - it's usually automatic once enabled...

The other approach might be to add a static router in the AsusWRT box, again, if it will let you...

Me being a little fastitous - RIP should allow the AsusWRT to learn the routes and who the GW is - it's usually automatic once enabled...
That's what I thought. I was hoping you meant something else - that might have helped.

I'll keep at it. Thanks for the help.

That's what I thought. I was hoping you meant something else - that might have helped.

I'll keep at it. Thanks for the help.

Keep at it - it's not a typical config, and I'm thinking this might somehow be related to some of the port forwarding issues that have been reported (virtual servers, etc...) - in bridge mode, it shouldn't matter, but the AsusWRT software has gone thru some interesting changes in the 380 branch it seems...

Wish I could help more here - please keep all advised as to what you find...

Keep at it - it's not a typical config, and I'm thinking this might somehow be related to some of the port forwarding issues that have been reported (virtual servers, etc...) - in bridge mode, it shouldn't matter, but the AsusWRT software has gone thru some interesting changes in the 380 branch it seems...

Wish I could help more here - please keep all advised as to what you find...

You're probably right, but I'm still holding out for a configuration issue. The reason I'm hopeful is that in order for it to be a FW problem, it would have to be a problem in both AsusWRT and Tomato. The symptoms are symmetrical: WS2 can go everywhere, but it stops at RT when it tries to get to WS1. Likewise, WS1 stops at GW when it tries to get to WS2.

I don't know much about routing, so I can't help thinking that it has something to do with subnet masks. In any case, I'll post if I make any progress.

You know what, I take all that back. On the GW, traffic is only passing through the switch. On the RT, traffic is going through the router. I guess the problem does have to be in the RT.

I solved it! I went with 255.255.255.0 everywhere. I would have sworn I'd tried that already. Apparently not.

From what I know, this shouldn't work. I thought I had to use .252. on the endpoints. Well, at least it works now.