What's new

site-to-site pptp vpn problems

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joshua Price

Occasional Visitor
I have 2 AC68 routers, one on merlin (server) and another (using advanced tomato) connected through a verizon 551L modem (in my taxi cab)... I'm trying to site-to-site through PPTP so I can have my remote access to my home network via an actual IP within that IP range, not one like openvpn gives within my client side router.. The pptp connects fine, but I can't access anything from either side of the vpn.

My client side router can ping the server side gateway's ip, but can't ping anything beyond it.. The server side router isn't able to ping anything, not even the IP the client is connected with.

If I connect via the windows vpn client using the same credentials, I connect perfectly and can access everything behind the router, including the my cloud dashboard which requires a server side IP range...

Why does it not work on a site to site pptp tunnel via 2 routers?

Also, when using my 551L with the asus router w/advanced tomato there are some sites, mainly amazon.com and some of their aws servers, that I can't access, the only way to access them is via routing the amazon.com traffic through my vpn or using a hola widget within chrome just for those sites having problems.. Even more puzzling, I do not have connection problems to their amazon fire stick servers (guessing they use different servers or protocols)..

If I plug the 551L directly into my laptop's usb I have no problems accessing those same websites..

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!