What's new

Skynet Skynet taking a long time to start

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Teymur

Regular Contributor
Hi @Adamm

Sometime back I'd been having this issue with Skynet taking long time to start and it was all related to ipapi.co and API being rate limited. Details are here http://www.snbforums.com/threads/skynet-router-firewall-security-enhancements.16798/post-559899
Back then you changed the user agent and it started working fast again. You asked me to disable country lookups for the UI and then update to 7.1.3
So since then I've only been updating Skynet and not touching/changing any config. I just checked and my country lookups are disabled. Back then you also gave me this command to check how many seconds it takes to genstats... Here is the output of that command today.

Code:
teymur88@router:/tmp/home/root# sh /jffs/scripts/firewall debug genstats
#############################################################################################################
#                                                                                                           #
#                  ███████╗██╗  ██╗██╗   ██╗███╗   ██╗███████╗████████╗    ██╗   ██╗███████╗                #
#                  ██╔════╝██║ ██╔╝╚██╗ ██╔╝████╗  ██║██╔════╝╚══██╔══╝    ██║   ██║╚════██║                #
#                  ███████╗█████╔╝  ╚████╔╝ ██╔██╗ ██║█████╗     ██║       ██║   ██║    ██╔╝                #
#                  ╚════██║██╔═██╗   ╚██╔╝  ██║╚██╗██║██╔══╝     ██║       ╚██╗ ██╔╝   ██╔╝                 #
#                  ███████║██║  ██╗   ██║   ██║ ╚████║███████╗   ██║        ╚████╔╝    ██║                  #
#                  ╚══════╝╚═╝  ╚═╝   ╚═╝   ╚═╝  ╚═══╝╚══════╝   ╚═╝         ╚═══╝     ╚═╝                  #
#                                                                                                           #
#                                 Router Firewall And Security Enhancements                                 #
#                             By Adamm -  https://github.com/Adamm00/IPSet_ASUS                             #
#                                            19/11/2020 - v7.2.3                                            #
#############################################################################################################

=============================================================================================================

[i] Generating Stats For WebUI

=============================================================================================================

[#] 99170 IPs (+0) -- 1701 Ranges Banned (+0) || 101 Inbound -- 0 Outbound Connections Blocked! [debug] [91s]

teymur88@router:/tmp/home/root#

So as you can see this takes 1,5 minutes to complete. Back then it used to be 13 seconds as you can see in #6505
What do you think the issue is this time? Thanks in advance.

When you say "taking a long time to start," do you mean the lockfile that exists for ~2 minutes after restarting the firewall? Seems perfectly normal to me after ~3 years of Skynetting.

When you say "taking a long time to start," do you mean the lockfile that exists for ~2 minutes after restarting the firewall? Seems perfectly normal to me after ~3 years of Skynetting.
I don't know what's causing it to be locked for 2 min. after restart. I'm also not sure if that is the reason.

If you look in the WebUI you'll see Skynet startup taking the form of the CPU cores alternating activity for a minute or two. Once the CPU settles down, the lockfile should be gone and you're off to the races.

If you look in the WebUI you'll see Skynet startup taking the form of the CPU cores alternating activity for a minute or two. Once the CPU settles down, the lockfile should be gone and you're off to the races.
The thing is that in /jffs/scripts/firewall-start script after skynet start up I got my custom firewall rules, and whenever skynet restarts I have to wait once it finishes and only then those custom rules are applied. Puting those rules before skynet start up line messes things up. Tried many times.