What's new

Slow internet speed for single computer (RT-AC88U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pyrotech1620

New Around Here
I am experiencing a problem and I cannot seem to fix it. I have a windows 2012 R2 Server with a 1 GB Ethernet. I also have a RT-AC88U router with ASUSWRT-Merlin 380.65 installed. After installing it I noticed my server is only getting 55-65 Mbps down and 190-200 Mbps up. I have a 1 Gb fiber line and on all other computers get that. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix it. My assumption is something on the router is limiting it but I cannot find out what. Here is what I have done.

1. Switched cables with another server that was getting 1Gbs
2. Reinstalled/Reset the Router
3. Installed default firmware (issue was still there) so went back to Merlin
4. Made sure QOS was off
4a. I did turn it on and select Bandwidth Limiter and made it 5Mbps and it did change the speed to 5Mbps. I took it off again and it still only went back to 55-65
5. Plugged server directly into Gateway and got 950 Mbps down and 919 Mbps Up
6. Went to the extreme and reinstalled Server OS
7. Tried with both DCHP and Static IPs of different sub domains and everything
8. Copying to a NAS the server will read/write at 112MBps so only impacts WAN traffic

This is the only device impacted so my guess is the Mac address is being used somewhere to limit this but cant find anything on the GUI. I see you can SSH into the router but no clue where to even start looking.

Any help on this would be great!

Incompatibility of 10/100/1000 negotiation between the router/NIC would be my guess. Try forcing it to 1000baseT full duplex at both ends.
Seen this kind of weird stuff on many switches/routers over the years.
And it's the only thing you didn't mention!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incompatibility of 10/100/1000 negotiation between the router/NIC would be my guess. Try forcing it to 1000baseT full duplex at both ends.
Seen this kind of weird stuff on many switches/routers over the years.
And it's the only thing you didn't mention!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good catch.. I did not try this until you just mentioned it. I went ahead and forced it but no change.. =[.. Thanks for the idea though!

Other routers causing the same issue? When you say 1GbE do you mean 1Gbps from the ISP or actual 1000Base-x?

Sent from my Nexus 6 with Pixel XL build.prop

When I mentioned 1GbE on the server I mentioned as the port is a 1000Base-x. But I also have a 1Gbps connection from the ISP.

I have AT&T Fiber which requires a use of their gateway. I have a router behind router setup where my RT-AC88U is the DMZ on the AT&T Gateway. On the ASUS router I have the problem with the speed. When I plug the sever into the AT&T Gateway I get the full speed. So I do not experience the same issue between routers. Only happens on the ASUS.

When I mentioned 1GbE on the server I mentioned as the port is a 1000Base-x. But I also have a 1Gbps connection from the ISP.

I have AT&T Fiber which requires a use of their gateway. I have a router behind router setup where my RT-AC88U is the DMZ on the AT&T Gateway. On the ASUS router I have the problem with the speed. When I plug the sever into the AT&T Gateway I get the full speed. So I do not experience the same issue between routers. Only happens on the ASUS.
Read on another post somewhere that it might be that particular firmware or if you updated you restored a backup and that could have caused an issue as well. Try defaulting the Asus and/or going back a firmware.

Read on another post somewhere that it might be that particular firmware or if you updated you restored a backup and that could have caused an issue as well. Try defaulting the Asus and/or going back a firmware.

I didnt do a backup/restore but still went ahead and went back to ASUS firmware Version 3.0.0.4.380.3941 from 9/8/2016. Restored to factory default. Still same issue. Upgraded back to Merlin 380.65 Factory Restored again and still same issue.

Thanks for the suggestions.. Any other thoughts?

I didnt do a backup/restore but still went ahead and went back to ASUS firmware Version 3.0.0.4.380.3941 from 9/8/2016. Restored to factory default. Still same issue. Upgraded back to Merlin 380.65 Factory Restored again and still same issue.

Thanks for the suggestions.. Any other thoughts?
Does any other nic cause the issue from another PC? Is the nic a realtek or Intel?

I also have gigabit service...does the AC88U have HW acceleration on? Does Tools show CTF and FA under HW acceleration? FA is very erratic...can you turn on Traffic Statistics, reboot and see if you only get CTF? If so, did this help? With my 68U the performance much more consistent with computers connected by wire with FA turned off.

Does any other nic cause the issue from another PC? Is the nic a realtek or Intel?

Only 1 NIC on the server but I just bought another from Amazon today and it should be in tomorrow. The current nic is a realtek. Another computer has a realtek nic as well with no issues.

Fingers crossed the new NIC solves the problem. =\

I also have gigabit service...does the AC88U have HW acceleration on? Does Tools show CTF and FA under HW acceleration? FA is very erratic...can you turn on Traffic Statistics, reboot and see if you only get CTF? If so, did this help? With my 68U the performance much more consistent with computers connected by wire with FA turned off.
I have HW acceleration on and CTF is enabled. All other computers work great using the router it just so happen to be this one server and it seemed to happen when upgrading to Merlin.

Only 1 NIC on the server but I just bought another from Amazon today and it should be in tomorrow. The current nic is a realtek. Another computer has a realtek nic as well with no issues.

Fingers crossed the new NIC solves the problem. =\
Is the new one an Intel nic? Also have you ran hardware test on the nic?

Is the new one an Intel nic? Also have you ran hardware test on the nic?

I just got a TP-Link TG-3468 PCIE. I didnt run a hardware test on the nic since I get 110MBps when copying from a NAS and using the router and I have no issues when connected directly connected Gateway didnt think it was a hardware issue.

I am really thinking it was some corrupt setting or something applying a QOS rule to that Server that got stuck when I upgraded to Merlin. I just cant find out where all the QOS rules and configuration is stored on the router to verify it.

Hi, I am having the same issue! I have an Asus RT-AC68U with firmware 380.68_4.

I tried everything, I even factory reset the router and re-flashed it... but nothing! This one PC I have wired connected is stuck at 60Mb/s download and 1 Mb/s upload when I have a 1Gb/s link. My other two computers work perfectly and this one computer when plugged in directly to the modem gets me the full speed (!960Mb/s Down and 45Mb/s Up).

I made sure I have QoS disabled, even the traffic analyzer!! If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

I just got a TP-Link TG-3468 PCIE. I didnt run a hardware test on the nic since I get 110MBps when copying from a NAS and using the router and I have no issues when connected directly connected Gateway didnt think it was a hardware issue.

I am really thinking it was some corrupt setting or something applying a QOS rule to that Server that got stuck when I upgraded to Merlin. I just cant find out where all the QOS rules and configuration is stored on the router to verify it.
make sure to always factor reset if switching from stock to merlin

Hi, I am having the same issue! I have an Asus RT-AC68U with firmware 380.68_4.

I tried everything, I even factory reset the router and re-flashed it... but nothing! This one PC I have wired connected is stuck at 60Mb/s download and 1 Mb/s upload when I have a 1Gb/s link. My other two computers work perfectly and this one computer when plugged in directly to the modem gets me the full speed (!960Mb/s Down and 45Mb/s Up).

I made sure I have QoS disabled, even the traffic analyzer!! If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
did you disable spanning tree protocol

H
It's disabled right now, same result.
Have you tested the 382 beta to see if it helps, also wan and lan traffic are different, if your running a server on the local network it's affected by your cables and internal network not by your wan speeds, check to make sure your nic or lan drivers are the latest version, also make sure your modem is in bridge mode with the router.

Modem is in bridge mode. NIC drivers are the latest available (I even re-installed them). I will give 382 a shot a guess even if I am not a big fan of beta builds.

Have you tried changing cables as well might be a dud cable

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!