What's new

Small Office Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Back in the day when systems didn't come with onboard NICs..it was Intel Pro or 3COM 90X adapters all the way for me.

But now...99 and 44/100 % of any system you purchase now or have purchased in the past couple of years comes with an onboard NIC....just about all these days are even gigabit NICs.

Intel Pro is still the best IMO, but many come with Broadcom or Realtec. For just workstation duty..they're fine.

Intel PWLA8391GT 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter - OEM

is my choice, pretty cheap also.

Intel PWLA8391GT 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter - OEM
If your systems support it, use a PCIe gigabit NIC (PRO/1000 PT). PCI will limit you to 600 - 700 Mbps.

I forgot to ask about wireless access point? Need something just for occassional connection, 802.11g is fine and the pc will share content with other pc` on the lan so no need for vpn. Thanks

I have a wap54g from linksys somewhere but know its not that reliable for office use, atleast I wasn`t really happy with my previous one

Depending on which version you have, the popular 3rd party firmware "DD-WRT" can increase stability substantially on them...if that little AP takes it, you can have yourself a fairly solid little AP for light to medium duty use for no additional cost. Seems people have better luck flashing their WAPs with the "mini/micro" version of DD-WRT.

I flashed asus wl-520gu with dd-wrt and love it, thanks didn't know u could put dd-wrt on wap