What's new

Smart Connect and Sonos (possibly others too)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shrek

New Around Here
Hi,

Equipment: Asus RT-AC3200 running RMerlin 380.59, a pair of Sonos Play 1's (plus other devices).

tl;dr - Smart Connect and Sonos play badly together can this be fixed or worked around? Happy to be a guinea pig/provide logs.

Not sure if this is a bug or not, and if it is if the fault lies with Sonos or the router, but I noticed that my Sonos Play 1's were constantly losing connection when idle despite being absolutely fine whilst in use/streaming. I noticed this (for anyone not familiar with Sonos) because when coming back to a Sonos player you can usually hit the play/pause button and it will continue playing whatever was last playing - and before I had the RT-AC3200 it would stay in this state indefinitely.

Eventually I spotted that after exactly an hour if neither of the Play 1's were in use they would drop off the network and, by the time they had reconnected, would lose this last played position. This would happen regardless of when the Play 1's were last used. For example one could have been in use for several hours, and stopped before the hour mark, the other having been idle the whole time, and both would drop at the same moment. If not in use at all both would drop off after exactly an hour. I played around with various settings, especially anything that had 3600s in it but nothing seemed to help. I tried changing the Dwell Time in the Smart Connect Rules too but this didn't increase the dropout time and was not successful in resolving the issue either.

Then I decided to try turning Smart Connect off and this has 'fixed' the issue, my Sonos devices now stay connected.

Now the question is, can this be fixed? If it can't be fixed can the interface for Smart Connect be changed so that certain devices are excluded from the Smart Connect process, for example by specifying the MAC address. Happy to help with logs etc if required.

I had a look around and I suspect that this is a similar situation, albeit with Roku devices. As a theory perhaps Smart Connect is trying to 'bounce' the Sonos players to another channel but as they don't support anything other than 2.4GHz it causes a problem.

I also noticed that other devices seem to get caught too (Harmony Home Hub) but on the whole most other devices either recovered gracefully or it wasn't an issue - i.e. they didn't lose their state.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if this will work, but you can try setting up a guest network on the 2.4GHz band, and set "Access Intranet" to enabled. Then connect your Sonos devises to this network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!