What's new

So much NAS brands what to buy?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xxnonamexx

Occasional Visitor
I have looked at reviews and brands like WD, QNAP, SYNOLOGY, NAS brands and it seems overwhelming. I would like a NAS instead of having a computer constantly running to access my media. I currently have 3 external ssd, and HDD. I am looking to stream my huge video library and store photos for my parents to access etc. I have had my ssd external drive crash so a backup would be helpful. I read about transcoding and how using an app like Plex causes some issues and that Plex is able to use your media files? I am looking to store my videos music, photos, documents in my own cloud and run a third party app like Plex possibly as it would have a nice gui and organize my videos. I am not looking to spend alot of money I would do 3-400. Any assistance much appreciated.

What Synology do you recommend
NAS that have hardware assisted video transcoding are quite expensive. Software based transcoding on a NAS is a non-starter.
I wonder why one needs this, rather than a box like Roku. Or a DLNA TV.

Synology and QNAP have 2-bay drives. Either is fine unless you have a humongous collection of rip'd movie DVDs. Drives at 4TB ea are affordable today,

Which NAS? Without transcoder. I'd look at the DS214 or DS215 from Synology. QNAP has very similar ones. My favorite retailer for computer stuff is
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...aF56IfaL6HLjh2fh3Cz_2hoCWOnw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Don't overlook the need for USB3 or eSATA drive(s) to backup the NAS. I don't use RAID in a 2 bay, by a rationale explained elsewhere.

Try QNAP and Synology demos on line at their web sites.
I found Synology's support good for US customers, as they answer the phone in the SF Bay area.

These are just the enclosures what drives do you recommend. I don't want to spend a fortune for a 2TB NAS.

I think I may have found a nice one on Amazon http://goo.gl/v5mIoy
Synology DiskStation 2-Bay (2x 2TB NAS Drives) Network Attached Storage (NAS) DS215j 2200

This is more pricy http://goo.gl/mJehFE

Last edited:
Buy a drive-less NAS from newegg.com or some such major retailer. I would NOT buy from a goo.gl nor most small retailers on Amazon.

Buy the drives youself. Latest for me is a pair of 3.5 in. Western Digital (WD) "red" drives, 3TB, $89 each on sale.
The DS215 will cost more than a DS214 (the last two digits are the year in which sales began).
The "j" is slower than the non-j. If you shop for 2 or 3 TB drives, perhaps you can afford the non-j.
Be sure to use the on-line demos at Synology and QNAP while choosing.

The QNAP model you reference is dual core and relatively fast CPU.
Visit the web sites of QNAP and Synology to compare features. Choose one or two. Then buy a disk-less one from a truly reputable retailer like newegg. Amazon is risky since some of the sellers there are tiny or disreputable. It's like buying on eBay.

Amazon is reputable since I am a Prime member it comes from Amazon.
I can get 2 of these http://goo.gl/Ao6AeN=$168
But I am having trouble finding the non j from newegg. Do you prefer QNAP or synology as far as the diskless bays? Is there a particular model you recommend? so a 14 compared to 15 is the same?

Either Synology or QNAP. I chose Synology.

DS214 is a year older than DS215 that costs more. Mine is an older yet DS212 and I'm pleased with it. The software is the same. Look at things like USB3 ports, CPU at 1.6GHz or faster. You won't see much difference.

I don't like Amazon for expensive things because Amazon is just a fulfillment house. You can get fouled up if the actual seller is scamming with used hardware, etc. I want an expensive item to go from manufacturer to seller to me, where seller is newegg. If you can be sure that Amazon is not just going to drop ship some crap from joe blow's virtual company to you, have at it. To me, that means that the Amazon listing says Amazon is the seller and it comes from their warehouse.

Newegg operates as a fulfillment house for really cheap and low profit commodity items such as cables.

Your URL link in the last posting is faulty. Your prior link to goo.gl (what is that???) pointed to a NAS with drives pre-installed which takes YOU out of the loop in drive vendor selection.

Last edited:
Amazon has the best customer service in the business, hands down.

I've had them refund items that were 2 and 3 months past the return window due to issues with manufacturers or other parties involved.

If an item is "fulfilled by Amazon" it's perfectly safe.

Either Synology or QNAP. I chose Synology.

Can't go wrong with either brand - both are top tier players in the NAS markets, and the feature sets are similar.

As for purchase - at least out here in San Diego, big-box stores (BestBuy, Fry's) tend not to carry a deep selection - Amazon, if they're the one's filling the order, is pretty decent, and there's always the NewEGG...

So I found the QNAP 251 diskless on NewEgg and 2 2TB WD Red drives =$470 which Amazon a tad cheaper. I wonder if I didn't go diskless if it would be cheaper. Are the drives in the non diskless ones any good? I feel like cost wise it is similar in comparison. I didn't want to spend a fortune on a NAS.

Last edited:
Spending equivalent to a very good desktop computer is not spending a fortune on a NAS.

I would recommend the 3TB WD RED's over the 2TB models and even over the 4TB RED's too.

Since we are using WD drives what is wrong with the WD cloud servers? Like
WD My Cloud EX2, or myCLoud Mirror Gen 2?

Since we are using WD drives what is wrong with the WD cloud servers? Like
WD My Cloud EX2, or myCLoud Mirror Gen 2?
Crude operating software. WD should stick to making disk drives. Others' opinion will differ. WD's NAS is aimed at naive customers who could likely do as well with a USB3 drive.

I see this is looking better
Synology DS215j 2-Bay Network Storage, (2x) WD Red 2TB Red PRO NAS Hard Drive 7200RPM for $460

QNAP TS-251-US Diskless System 2-Bay Personal Cloud NAS with HDMI output. DLNA, AirPlay and PLEX Support reviews didn't do so well. same price with WD red 2 2TB drives

Last edited:
Buy diskless NAS.
Buy drives on sale. Perhaps WD Red. Cheaper. Simple to install software.
Mine are 3TB - sweet spot in prices now.