What's new

So what way should i go?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LlamaLord

New Around Here
So here is my setup.

Just picked up a XR700 upgraded from my R9000. CM1000 cable modem.

Now i know these routers are not the best and for the price i just feel like its just not worth it.

Right now i pay for 1GB download speeds and 45MB Upload. These routers can handle these speeds.

What i am asking is there a better solution rather than dropping 500$ on a Netgear router. Still have time to return in.

I do A LOT of download and uploading and yes Lots of streaming. I also use Plex as well inside the house and external. Also big gaming house as well with a lot of wireless devices.

Any ideas would be great!

You can try with x4s it's cost less and add ap of your choice from tplink or UBIQUITI AC LITE .

It should be less than 400 .

It's known thumb rule no single WiFi router can cater to entire home.

You can also try edge router to extend connection if you want more connection wired it's 50 dollars. also capable other features.

Hope this helps out

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

So here is my setup.

Just picked up a XR700 upgraded from my R9000. CM1000 cable modem.

Now i know these routers are not the best and for the price i just feel like its just not worth it.

Right now i pay for 1GB download speeds and 45MB Upload. These routers can handle these speeds.

What i am asking is there a better solution rather than dropping 500$ on a Netgear router. Still have time to return in.

I do A LOT of download and uploading and yes Lots of streaming. I also use Plex as well inside the house and external. Also big gaming house as well with a lot of wireless devices.

Any ideas would be great!

The R9000/XR700 is probably the best router in terms of providing great wifi coverage and with a plex server built-in. It has pretty impressive hardware specs and i'm sure that quadcore CPU will come in handy when transcording plex streams real time. If you need better wifi, why not add an access point? Or alternatively try one of the latest tri-band Broadcom quadcore CPU based routers such as the TP Link C5400X or Linksys EA9500V2 if you can live without Plex in a router? However stay away from the notorious Asus ROG GT-AC5300 as this is buggy as hell. My Linksys EA9500V2 works great and easily covers the whole house with wifi.

Btw, have you noticed any difference yet between the R9000 and XR700? I know hardware-wise they're both the same but since they're using a different a OS, i'm wondering what the real-world perfomance is like...

Cheers

The R9000/XR700 is probably the best router in terms of providing great wifi coverage and with a plex server built-in. It has pretty impressive hardware specs and i'm sure that quadcore CPU will come in handy when transcording plex streams real time. If you need better wifi, why not add an access point? Or alternatively try one of the latest tri-band Broadcom quadcore CPU based routers such as the TP Link C5400X or Linksys EA9500V2 if you can live without Plex in a router? However stay away from the notorious Asus ROG GT-AC5300 as this is buggy as hell. My Linksys EA9500V2 works great and easily covers the whole house with wifi.

Btw, have you noticed any difference yet between the R9000 and XR700? I know hardware-wise they're both the same but since they're using a different a OS, i'm wondering what the real-world perfomance is like...

Cheers

I don't use the Plex that is built into the router I have tried it in the R9000 but that is about it. Have a server that does Plex. So far I have not notice much. I have not done much configuration to the xr700 just yet and right now there are bugs in the router. I was looking at some Asus routers and maybe putting Merlin on it but wanted to make sure I would get the same performance. I just feel like like the price tag on this thing is was to high for a router that will be out dated in a week lol.

Right now having so problems with the new xr700 so i plan i returning it. What Asus router would you guys go with that works best with or without Merlin os?