What's new

Solution that supports more than 5 OpenVPN clients?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jay Adams

New Around Here
Hi Guys, I've been using an ASUS RT-AC68U with Merlin firmware to connect to OpenVPN servers.
I'm happy with the functionality, but I've outgrown the five client limit.
I could make use of 10 clients today and may grow to need a maximum of 30.
What solutions should I be looking at?
Can the five client limit in Merlin be increased?
Or, are there routers on the market that support more than five OpenVPN clients?
Or, should I be looking at a linux solution?
My total bandwidth usage is low, normally < 0.5 megabit/second if that helps.
Any guidance offered by the knowledgeable folks here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Look at building a Linux server. The CPU alone would be problematic with so many clients on a low-powered router.

Any guidance offered by the knowledgeable folks here would be appreciated

Sounds like your needs have outgrown the capabilities of the platform - as RMerlin suggests, perhaps time to consider building up a linux box and handling the clients there - there's some nice Intel boxes out there on the Amazon for less than $200 - have to add RAM/disk, and build from scratch, but the performance will be quite good..

Sounds like your needs have outgrown the capabilities of the platform - as RMerlin suggests, perhaps time to consider building up a linux box and handling the clients there - there's some nice Intel boxes out there on the Amazon for less than $200 - have to add RAM/disk, and build from scratch, but the performance will be quite good..
Can you suggest a nice intel box? I am looking for one to create a torrent box/media center.
I have an android TV box atm but win 10 would be way better for me.
I saw this one http://www.everbuying.net/product1148233.html?currency=CAD&gclid=CIrotOam3M0CFYU2aQod23QN0w
Are they with full windows 10 OS like remote desktop and one can install any programs on them?
Let me know what you think sfx or if you have a better suggestion.

Can you suggest a nice intel box? I am looking for one to create a torrent box/media center.
I saw this one http://www.everbuying.net/product1148233.html?currency=CAD&gclid=CIrotOam3M0CFYU2aQod23QN0w
Are they with full windows 10 OS like remote desktop and one can install any programs on them?

The intel box like what Dennis Wood put together for pfSense (thread here) would be a nice VPN server - plenty of CPU and memory resources - and then run linux or pfSense perhaps..

Getting a bit off topic - the box you linked is similar to the Minix Neo 64W - Intel Z-series chip (think tablets), the challenge with these units is 32-bit UEFI, which can be a problem for 3rd party operating systems, and the wifi is on the SDIO bus, if I recall, ethernet is USB... it is Windows 10 Home (32bit), and they run Kodi well enough.

The intel box like what Dennis Wood put together for pfSense (thread here) would be a nice VPN server - plenty of CPU and memory resources - and then run linux or pfSense perhaps..
Nice but I would need HDMI as well.
But this computer has 4 nics :)
kick butt router that's for sure :)
There are so many choices not sure of which to get from amazon :(

Getting a bit off topic - the box you linked is similar to the Minix Neo 64W - Intel Z-series chip (think tablets), the challenge with these units is 32-bit UEFI, which can be a problem for 3rd party operating systems, and the wifi is on the SDIO bus, if I recall, ethernet is USB... it is Windows 10 Home (32bit), and they run Kodi well enough.
true we are off the topic :p

That's an interesting thread you linked to. It looks like something I should read when I have time.
I know next to nothing about routing or linux, but I've started learning.
Regarding the linux server that was suggested, would that replace my router or is it something that would sit on my internal network and just route VPN clients?
I don't have a spare machine available at the moment, but I can create a linux virtual machine. Would that work as a learning/test box?

That's an interesting thread you linked to. It looks like something I should read when I have time.
I know next to nothing about routing or linux, but I've started learning.
Regarding the linux server that was suggested, would that replace my router or is it something that would sit on my internal network and just route VPN clients?
I don't have a spare machine available at the moment, but I can create a linux virtual machine. Would that work as a learning/test box?
That article is to replace a router with a Linux box running pfsence and VPN.