What's new

Solved RT-AC88U 5Ghz wifi problem on 384.18

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thermaltake

Regular Contributor
Hi, I have ASUS RT-AC88U. Don't know if it's connect to 384.18 version of firmware. But my Macbook Pro 2011 have 5Ghz and most of the time it's not visible, but sometimes it appears, 2.4Ghz is working all the time like it should. I have same problem on my other laptop Acer Aspire V5 572G. On my phones and other newer laptop everything is working OK.
Anyone have any suggestion ? I tried to turn off router and On again, but same thing.

Last edited:
Is the firmware version in the title correct or in the post?

When was this firmware flashed and over what previous firmware?

Was a full reset performed lately (M&M Config)?

The suggestions below may help.

Is the firmware version in the title correct or in the post?

When was this firmware flashed and over what previous firmware?

Was a full reset performed lately (M&M Config)?

The suggestions below may help.

My bad, I correct it now.

I didn't fully reset since last 3 firmware upgrades.

Well Factory reset it is.

Should I push the buttom for few seconds or do it from GUI is it same ?

The last two paragraphs should have everything you need. :)

The last two paragraphs should have everything you need. :)

I don't understand should I just switch off router do the step 9 and 10 or what did you mean ? I assume when reading your previous post that I need to do factory reset. I just asked if it's the same when pushing the reset button and do factory reset via GUI.

Not steps, paragraphs. :)

If all of the above steps have been faithfully followed and the issues remain, and, the google search in step 4 does not yield any satisfying results, then the router is most likely in an unstable state and needs a full reset to factory defaults.

The M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guides are suggested along with the guide in the following post to help get your router and your network to a good/known state where the firmware's expected defaults are used (properly) and available too.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax88-packet-loss.62891/post-563326

Yes pressing and holding the resessed button on the back of the router will work for a complete factory reset. You can also reset to factory in the web UI. Both methods will do the same job.

To be clearer, I find the WPS and the GUI 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox reset methods work better than the reset button method. But on stubborn routers, using all the methods is sometimes required to get the router/network back to a good/known state.

On a brand-new router (for myself and particularly for customers), I will use all three methods after flashing the latest RMerlin firmware at that time. And re-flashing that same firmware in-between each reset performed successfully. This ensures (for me) that any issues that arise are easily fixable by changing settings as needed. If they're not fixable, it usually indicates a hardware-related problem and back it goes for another one.

Make sure you don't use a DFS channel.

Make sure you don't use a DFS channel.

I am on 48 channel, and using 80Mhz bandwidth.

After factory reset (on button) and removing adapter from outlet and router for half an hour, and disconnecting all the cables. Reconfigure router manually again and everything works OK now. Macbook and Acer see 5Ghz network all the time, and working stable.

Plus I did a little modification under router I put cork plugs for better airflow plus I bet router will collect less dust that way.

Last edited:
I am on 48 channel, and using 80Mhz bandwidth.

There's your problem. This is a DFS channel, which means your router needs to leave the channel whenever radar activity is detected, which will disconnect your clients.

No need to do a factory default reset for that...

@RMerlin, Channel 48 is not a DFS Channel, is it?

@RMerlin, Channel 48 is not a DFS Channel, is it?
Note OP bandwidth 80Mhz - so if centred on Channel 48 or start at Channel 48 - will spread into DFS channels which in most jurisdictions start at Channel 50.
Useful charts on Wikipedia here ... but you knew that ;).

My bad, for some reason I had 44 in my mind as the highest non-DFS channel.

In any case, doesn't hurt to test with channel 36, just to rule out any channel-related issues, and also ensuring DFS auto-channel support is disabled.

It's working now as it should for 2 days. I guess router did need factory reset not just channel change.
I always run on 48 chan. without problems, but after 2-3 firmware flash without reset router go a little crazy for some reason.

merlin was right. I got same problem today with 5Ghz network, and switch to channel 44, until then everything is working fine. Maybe that 48 was problem after all, but will see after few days of testing.