What's new

[Solved] Wireless Bridging? Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

joem5636

New Around Here
I am trying to create a wireless client connected to an access port (on the cheap, of course). My client is a DLink DWL-2100AP and it works fine as a client to my primary wireless network. I can use it with an ethernet connection to my computer and get connectivity (including internet, etc.). It is set up with DHCP but is not bridging or NATing (which may be the problem below).

My AP is an ancient Apple Airport -- it works great if I connect it to a hub in my existing network, but when I connect it to the above DLink client, it will not obtain a DHCP connection, apparently. In any case, I do not have internet connectivity while it works fine if connected to a hub in the original network. I have tried to get the Airport to "share a connection" which it does if that connection is to the host network but not to the client even though (to me) the resulting connections are the same. I have tried skipping the DHCP and entering the IPs from the client when it is successfully connected to my computer. I have turned on and off NAT.

What throws me is that each piece works correctly alone but not together. I have tried this with DD-WRT boxes with, apparently, the same results so I abandoned those boxes and struck with my ancient stuff.

Anyone know the "magic" for getting this to work? (I did try searching both here and on the web for solutions but the keywords are too common, I suspect.)

Eventually, I solved the problem by switching around boxes. Using a different client with the Apple Airport solved the problem (somehow). I also was able to make the D-Link work in repeater mode (at least for an unprotected site).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!