What's new

Special characters breaks WebUI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SycrJohnny

New Around Here
Yesterday I was changing the client profiles on my AC-66R router, So I can identify my home devices in an easier way...

Everything was fine until I named one with a apostrophe... then the whole UI broke up...
It seems that the Web UI does not support, nor validates this situations where a character might broke up the whole thing...

The steps to reproduce the error were this:
  1. Open the network map page
  2. Click on the icon of a client in the client status list on the right (attached image)
  3. Change the name (first field) to something with apostrophes on it (like Bert's phone)
  4. The list will break up... The next time you login into the router, the screen will be all messed up, without menu, header and some functionality will not work.
To solve this issue, I had to reset the nvram from SSH, because the admin web page was unaccessible.

I think that this issue must be an Asus bug, but I might be wrong, that's why I'm posting this here...

If you need more info on this, please let me know

I tested this using Firefox 37

Attachments

• Asus page.png
    Asus page.png
    400.6 KB · Views: 565
You must use " insted of apostrophe. It is known that apposrofe braeks GUI

Thanks for the reply octopus...

I solved that now avoiding special chars at all...

But I will keep that in mind next time...

Follow the rules for DNS names and you will be fine. Character you used is not a valid DNS character. -bill

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!