What's new

Speed in LAN is throttling at 8mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mekanik

New Around Here
I transferring data from 1 dedicated NAS to another VM NAS, through wifi-router. The Wifi router acts as DHCPserver for the LAN/AP/wired router. The connection between the 2 NAS is wired and not wireless. One of the NAS is Netgear Readynas 102 and the other is openmediavault(VM) over proxmox. The speed is throttling at 8mbps . I have changed the cables, cat 6/5e and yet i do not see know what is the issue. The router support 100mbps over wire, and so is the endpoints of the 2 NAS. So I was expecting atleast 80-90mbps.
Though my ISP speed does not matter, the ISP speed is capped at 16mbps and i do get sometimes 12mbps, so i do not expect the ports on the NAS to be at fault also.
Any suggestions to solve this issue. Appreciate your help guys..

The router support 100mbps over wire,

what is the make and model of the router and does it have giga ethernet ports or just 10/100M ethernet ports

now when transferring we use MB/s and not mbps , so are you using the right one as 8mbps is dam slow

i have just retired a netgear rn102 but before i did it was capable of about 50MB/s

yo fault find connect a comp to the router and copy and paste from first the rn102 and then the vm thing and see if you can determine what or which is causing the slow down

what is the make and model of the router and does it have giga ethernet ports or just 10/100M ethernet ports

now when transferring we use MB/s and not mbps , so are you using the right one as 8mbps is dam slow

i have just retired a netgear rn102 but before i did it was capable of about 50MB/s

yo fault find connect a comp to the router and copy and paste from first the rn102 and then the vm thing and see if you can determine what or which is causing the slow down
Thanks for your reply pete y testing..
Its TP-LINK TL-WR941ND and supports only 10/100. But your right when i said speed as 8 it was 8MB/s and not mbps which makes a big big difference . I totally ignored it!

I did try out connecting my laptop to RN102 and the VM separately, through the same router. And the speeds were around 9-10MB/s . Never tried it using the USB connection though, or directly through crossover cables.

But given the limitation of router,i.e., it has 100M ethernet ports, it cannot surpass 10-12MB/s right? So the only benefit is increasing it from 8 to 9/10 MB/s .. Can it be done? without changing any equipment..

But given the limitation of router,i.e., it has 100M ethernet ports, it cannot surpass 10-12MB/s right?

yup thats about right your routers ethernet ports will always be the bottleneck

So the only benefit is increasing it from 8 to 9/10 MB/s .. Can it be done? without changing any equipment..

thats about right

but invest in a giga ethernet router with wireless AC and you will see

117MB/s transfers over giga ethernet and if you get a 1300M wireless adapter and one of the better wireless router close to that as well , so prob 10 times faster both ethernet and wifi

Thanks pete y testing.. Planning to replace my router with a edgerouter x and ubiquiti AP-AC-LITE.. Heard quite a good things about them..

It just that i am coming up with crazy setup for simple home scenario.. Planning to use my new PC, with multiple VM where one of them will be Pfsense.. and that will be acting as my router which will be connected to the AP.. But I know pfsense will fail since i plan to use it for playing around with it, i need a backup where the edgerouter x come in to play..

ISP --> Edgerouter X --> PFsense --> AP

Plan is that Edgerouter X should act more like backup router, if PFSENSE fails. So trying to figure out if this is even possible.

Edgerouter X --> PFsense -

the issue there is the PFsense would create a dual nat and all devices behind it would have issues with UPnP and port forwarding etc , its because you would be running a router behind a router

so its ether the edgerouter or the PFsense but not both at the same time on the same network