What's new

Speed up boot time ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gedeon30

Occasional Visitor
Hi.
I'm now using the AC66_B1 router mainly as a bridge/repeater. The TV, receiver, nas, tv-box ... are connected through the lan ports (fixed IP) and the router connects all of them through wifi 5G to my main home wifi isp router.

Hence I don't it switched on all day, only a few hours. But the router needs between 2 and 3 minutes to start up and it takes about 2 minutes just to get the "lan-ethernet-bridge" to be fully enabled. So if only want to listen music / access nas, the router is the slowest box to start up. The rest elements start-up in way less than 30 seconds.

No entware, or other apps enabled, just basic repeater config.

Is there any way to make the router boot process a bit more faster even if the wifi needs a bunch more of seconds ?

(I don't want to add another box like a gbit switch)

Thanks.

Hi.
I'm now using the AC66_B1 router mainly as a bridge/repeater. The TV, receiver, nas, tv-box ... are connected through the lan ports (fixed IP) and the router connects all of them through wifi 5G to my main home wifi isp router.

Hence I don't it switched on all day, only a few hours. But the router needs between 2 and 3 minutes to start up and it takes about 2 minutes just to get the "lan-ethernet-bridge" to be fully enabled. So if only want to listen music / access nas, the router is the slowest box to start up. The rest elements start-up in way less than 30 seconds.

No entware, or other apps enabled, just basic repeater config.

Is there any way to make the router boot process a bit more faster even if the wifi needs a bunch more of seconds ?

(I don't want to add another box like a gbit switch)

Thanks.
Dont use DFS channels it take more time to come up.
Checking for radar becon take its time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Last week I left the router on 24/7 but I just don't need so many hours to be on. Maybe 6-8 hours a day, at most, no more.

I'll take a look to the DFS channels, but I'm not sure if it'll speed up the boot enough.

Last week I left the router on 24/7 but I just don't need so many hours to be on. Maybe 6-8 hours a day, at most, no more.

I'll take a look to the DFS channels, but I'm not sure if it'll speed up the boot enough.
Is there another reason besides "I don't need it to be on"? Turning electronics off and on frequently generally shortens their life; the relatively large temperature changes cause thermal stresses. Since you use it (I assume) more or less every day, you're doing more damage to it by turning it off and and on than by just leaving it run.

Is there another reason besides "I don't need it to be on"? Turning electronics off and on frequently generally shortens their life; the relatively large temperature changes cause thermal stresses. Since you use it (I assume) more or less every day, you're doing more damage to it by turning it off and and on than by just leaving it run.

Indeed. Not only that, which is reason enough to leave it on all the time, but I seem to remember reading that ISPs may well downgrade the service to your part-time router. I don’t know if that is still the case - or if it ever was the case (ie another urban myth).

Sorry to resurrect the thread. Googling brings up this thread as the most recent. I was in a similar situation just using Media Bridge with slow/failed boot issues. Putting on FreshTomato firmware has no more failed boots and is up and running in a little over a minute, much faster than before.