What's new

ssh connection refused

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

heysoundude

Part of the Furniture
I'm scratching my head over this one, and would appreciate a hand from whomever may know what's happening here

recently upgraded n66 to ac86. want to add diversion, amtm, that stuff...but when I open up terminal and type
ssh <router login>@<router IP> and then hit enter, I get a connection refused on port 22

I'm sure that I've enabled the ability to ssh in on port 22...but did I forget something, miss a step, overlook a checkbox?

Double check that you really enabled SSH access, and that you kept it on port 22.

I've been reading that the AC86U default IP address is now 192.168.50.1 instead of 192.168.1.1 like the old N66U. What if you just try to ssh to router.asus.com?

I've been reading that the AC86U default IP address is now 192.168.50.1 instead of 192.168.1.1 like the old N66U. What if you just try to ssh to router.asus.com?
This worked!
However, without doing anything in Terminal, I can get into the homepage of the web UI, but clicking on any tab (like trying to make sure that port 22 is open as @RMerlin suggested) kicks me back to the login page.

I feel a factory reset coming on...

EDIT - a reboot of my desktop resolved that. Thanks all!!

Last edited:
This worked!
However, without doing anything in Terminal, I can get into the homepage of the web UI, but clicking on any tab (like trying to make sure that port 22 is open as @RMerlin suggested) kicks me back to the login page.

I feel a factory reset coming on...
Try clearing your browser cache first.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!