What's new

SSH out through router not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

walttheboss

Occasional Visitor
I have an AC68U with 384.13. Love it.

BUT I can no longer SSH out through the router. From my server I want to SSH into another server across the world. No go. IS there a setting I may have messed up.

I have port forwarding setup and can ssh into my server from across the world fine.

SUMMARY: SSH cannot pass from LAN to World. SSH is passing fine from World to LAN.

Do you have any scripts enabled? Have you rebooted the router to 'refresh' it and waited about 10 minutes or so?

Do you have a USB drive connected with Entware and a swap file configured on an Ext4 file system with journaling enabled?

What settings and features past default have you changed or enabled?

I have port forwarding setup and can ssh into my server from across the world fine
Should be pretty straight forward for outbound connections.

First place I'd look would be your port forwarding to ensure you aren't trapping both onbound and outbound.

Disable the port forwarding temporarily and see if you can connect to the remote server.

Do you have any scripts enabled? Have you rebooted the router to 'refresh' it and waited about 10 minutes or so?

Do you have a USB drive connected with Entware and a swap file configured on an Ext4 file system with journaling enabled?

What settings and features past default have you changed or enabled?

THANKS for the help.

Nothing changed besides port forwarding. No scripts. Have rebooted but not for that long. Will try. No USB. No Swap

Network Details: We have modem/router supplied by ISP(some Huawei something) that forwards to my Asus router. The Asus forwards to the server. So the SSH out has to pass through two routers. BUT it always worked till two days ago.

Should be pretty straight forward for outbound connections.

First place I'd look would be your port forwarding to ensure you aren't trapping both onbound and outbound.

Disable the port forwarding temporarily and see if you can connect to the remote server.

Thanks for the help.

I turned off Port Forwarding. then Rebooted. Same result.

ssh -v msgvte@msgvte.msgeducation.com
OpenSSH_7.6p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.3, OpenSSL 1.0.2n 7 Dec 2017
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 19: Applying options for *
debug1: Connecting to msgvte.msgeducation.com [183.182.101.108] port 22.
debug1: connect to address 183.182.101.108 port 22: Connection timed out
ssh: connect to host msgvte.msgeducation.com port 22: Connection timed out

Long shot; unplug all network equipment (power and Ethernet cables). Wait at least 10 minutes (an hour is better).

Power on the modem and wait for it to settle make sure to connect the power and the input cable.

Connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the router and then power on the router.

Wait at least 10 minutes for the router to settle before you connect any other Ethernet cables.

Power on and connect all remaining Wired devices.

Test to see if fully resetting the ISP connection doing the above fixes (or changes) the issue.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!