What's new

SSID names in AP Mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

#TY

Hello everyone! I have 4 ASUS RT-AC5300 to setup in one location and I am not entirely sure how to go about the naming of the SSID on all 4 routers.

On the main router, I have smart connect enabled and I set a SSID "WNAME".

Ideally, I would like to setup all other 3 access points to use the same SSID "WNAME"so that there is only one SSID for the whole house. The idea is for devices to automatically connect to the closest router automatically in the background as the user is moving around the house.

Is this possible? or do I have to proceed with something like "WNAME-AP1", "WNAME-AP2", and "WNAME-AP3"?

Thanks in advance.

Why not set it up as an Aimesh? those pretty high end Routers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I am using the Merlin Firmware and AiMesh isn't available.

Is this possible? or do I have to proceed with something like "WNAME-AP1", "WNAME-AP2", and "WNAME-AP3"?
You can do it either way. Personally I use the same SSID for my 2.4GHz APs and a different one for 5GHz.

You can setup completely different SSIDs for each AP/band if you want, it just means you'll need to create multiple WiFi "profiles" on each client. That would give you the flexibility of stopping certain devices connecting to specific access points. But in terms of "roaming" - that's a client side issue. Clients tend to "stick" to whatever access point they're connected to until they loose the signal completely. That's where smart connect is supposed to help, by forcibly disconnecting a client when its signal strength drops below a certain level. Of course that only really works for the SSIDs on the same router, it can't control other access points.

I understand.

What do you do though if you notice your WiFi connectivity being very slow presumably because your client hasn't disconnected from the first router it connected to. Is it simply a matter of waiting for the client to eventually switch to the closer router? Or will you need to turn WiFi off and on in order to force refresh?

That's good question, unfortunately I don't have a good answer :D.

But in my particular case it's rarely an issue. The WiFi coverage in my house is pretty good so it doesn't make much difference what they connect to. Most of the devices (laptops, etc.) are in fixed locations and as such always connect to the strongest AP. Truly mobile devices (like phones) do roam (more or less) because, well... they're moving.

The only devices I had problems with were a couple of smart TV's and a Blu-Ray player. If I reboot the AP they're connected to they jump onto the main router (with a weaker signal) and don't jump back to the AP when it comes back online. This caused problems with Netflix, etc. so I setup a MAC filter list just for those devices to stop them roaming (I might have used a different SSID just for them but my cheap AP doesn't support multiple SSIDs).

The house is fully wired but it's on 4 floors. As such, I am planning on having a router on each floor to ensure maximum signal strength for each floor. (there is concrete and steel between the floors - hence the wired connectivity). The 4 routers will be connected via Ethernet and configured in AP mode.

If I understood properly, I think the best way to ensure the least amount of nagging questions from family members is to have most devices on each floor connected to the AP Wifi for that floor.

Mobile devices like iPhones and iPads will have to roam as you point out.

My situation is somewhat similar, so this is what worked for me:

1. No band steering! Separate SSID for 2.5 and 5!
2. The same SSID names for all APs
3. Try to do a survey and place your APs in a way that provides the biggest dB drop for all, but the actual AP locates on a given floor (-70 dB would work). If you can’t do that, then just reduce the number of APs.

Client roaming in non mesh environments usually a function of networks search order, so having independent SSIDs would not do you justice.

Reactions: #TY
1. No band steering! Separate SSID for 2.5 and 5!
So basically, two separate SSIDs.. WNAME2 and WNAME5 (for both 5GH1 and 2) on the main router.

2. The same SSID names for all APs
This is the part where I'm a little confused. If the main router has WNAME2 and WNAME5 (for both 5GH1 and 2), what do I call the SSID on the AP nodes? Something else but make sure that the something else os on all the other AP nodes as well?

So basically, two separate SSIDs.. WNAME2 and WNAME5 (for both 5GH1 and 2) on the main router.

This is the part where I'm a little confused. If the main router has WNAME2 and WNAME5 (for both 5GH1 and 2), what do I call the SSID on the AP nodes? Something else but make sure that the something else os on all the other AP nodes as well?

I have two SSIDs with separate names, but only one name for each band. The same names used on all AP’s.

I cover a LOT of area and use AP mode with all the SSIDs the same. I let the device choose. I also manage the radio channels myself instead of using Auto. The require using some sort of "survey tool" like WiFi Analyzer to check the frequencies in use. I typically check near the AP and near the intended point of use for that AP and look for conflicting signal form other sources as well as my other APs.

Works like a champ for me, YMMV

I am using the Merlin Firmware and AiMesh isn't available.
Some here use this config and are very happy with it (not officially supported by Merlin but never read about problems, maybe it is not the problem to use Merlin on master but it would break things if you want to use Merlin on nodes):
You can use Merlin on master router and enable Aimesh with SSH on it (search forum on how to do, only 3 simple commands)
Load AsusWRT (similar version) on your nodes
Now you can use Aimesh even with Merlin on main router where you will need it, nodes are in some kind of AP mode, so Merlin wont help anyway on them.
Updates are done as ever, Merlin with file upload on master router, and Aimesh-nodes on master too with auto-update function for each node.

Sticky clients is usually an indication that there is too much overlap. Turn down the radio Tx and re-test.

I cover a LOT of area and use AP mode with all the SSIDs the same. I let the device choose. I also manage the radio channels myself instead of using Auto. The require using some sort of "survey tool" like WiFi Analyzer to check the frequencies in use. I typically check near the AP and near the intended point of use for that AP and look for conflicting signal form other sources as well as my other APs.

Works like a champ for me, YMMV
Would you mind posting some screenshots please? A picture is worth a thousand words :)

Would you mind posting some screenshots please? A picture is worth a thousand words :)
he is endless cascading, probably no one else here would do, using twice as much routers than necessary.
Main router - WiFi - bridge router - LAN - AP-router - WiFi - bridge router - LAN - AP-router - WiFi - bridge router - LAN - AP-router - WiFi - bridge router - LAN - AP-router - WiFi - bridge router - LAN - AP-router - WiFi - bridge router - LAN - AP-router - WiFi - clients ...

he is endless cascading, probably no one else here would do, using twice as much routers than necessary.
Main router -> bridge router -> AP-router -> bridge router -> AP-router -> bridge router -> AP-router -> bridge router -> AP-router -> bridge router -> AP-router -> bridge router -> AP-router -> bridge router -> AP-router -> bridge router -> AP-router ...
Yikes!

Main router - WiFi - bridge router - LAN - AP-router - WiFi - bridge router - LAN - AP-router - WiFi - bridge router - LAN - AP-router - WiFi - bridge router - LAN - AP-router - WiFi - bridge router - LAN - AP-router - WiFi - bridge router - LAN - AP-router - WiFi - clients ...

I am doing no such thing.

Each router connects back to a Gb switch via CAT5e. Same for 1 or "100". Big star.

Please don't post guesses that confuse people.

No I am not. Each router connects back to a Gb switch via CAT5e. Same for 1 or "100". Big star. Please don't post guesses that confuse people.
apologize please!!!
got confused with photomans post directly above - he uses this configuration.

you can do what you want to, but it isnt a good or recommended config to cascade except it is the only way somehow.
One device in the chain will let go down internet for all devices behind, while update, work on config, failure or whatever can happen in a network.
Thats all I want to tell users asking for best config of their network.
And best you can do in a home environment is to use a star configuration with LAN backhaul.

The house is fully wired but it's on 4 floors. As such, I am planning on having a router on each floor to ensure maximum signal strength for each floor (there is concrete and steel between the floors - hence the wired connectivity).
Hey, I never solve anything (I'm "Klueless" : -) but it sounds like a fun conversation to jump in on.

Up front I've used Asus routers before but I've never set one up as an AP before. As a router I know you can have up to four SSIDs (WiFi Names) for each radio (4 for 2.4 GHz and another 4 for 5 GHz). I'm going to assume that's true when you configure an Asus router as an AP?

On the flip side you can have one name for all radios. Now that's kinda neat, one name & one password for the whole house and (in theory) it just works. Everywhere and anywhere.

But the down side is the occasional recalcitrant client who won't drop a dead connection thus it can't roam.

So you could set up an SSID for Floor 1 router, another SSID for Floor2 AP and so on; Floor 3, Floor 4. The downside is you'd have to take your iPad floor to floor, login and connect on each floor. Once you've done this once your device will most likely roam automatically. If it's the weird device that doesn't then you can manually connect to the proper SSID as needed.

I'd consider combining both schemes; One SSID ("Full House") for all radios all floors then the Floor 1 ... Floor 4 SSIDs for the floor 1 ... floor 4 devices. Then it's back to one login for the whole house and if there's ever a problem you have an easy "work around", simply log into to appropriate floor.

Normally I'd talk about signal overlap a little but with steel and concrete between floors that shouldn't be an issue.

There's an off chance of the occasional client making the wrong choice between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. If each floor is like 1,000 sq. ft. it's of little consequence. If each floor is, say, 5,000 sq. ft., well, that could be a future conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: #TY