What's new

Stable Device For Streaming Games

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flyoffacliff

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I am getting the Steam Link to stream video games across my LAN, a wired connection is strongly recommended, but I cant run a cable. I currently have draft N equipment. I don't really care about speed; 70Mbps throughput is plenty. I really need stability; low jitter and ping. The devices will be about 30 feet apart through walls. Will I get better stability by upgrading the NIC and router to 802.11AC. Will QOS help much? Anything specific I should look for? Would about adhoc? It seems adhoc is discontinued though.

It seems some devices simply work better, and I am not sure why. Streaming though an Amped Wireless range extender works great, but it sometimes locks up. Streaming through a Netgear WNR3000V3, the connection is a lot less stable. But it seems your benchmarks measure speed more than jitter and ping, which makes selection hard.

Thank you for the help.

you will get better throughput with AC but not stability.
You can run flat ethernet cables and try to hide them and just run them under doors and such with no drilling involved.
Others would suggest using MOCA, ethernet over powerlines, using coax cables, etc.
Wifi would usually be the last thing to use for such.

There is another way but it requires more effort and skill than just what you find around and probably more budget which is to use 2 same wifi routers as a bridge using directional antennas. To use this route you need to measure and get the correct antennas and to use 2 wifi routers that will not be doing anything else. So than you just plug your PC into one end of the bridge wire ethernet.