What's new

Stable router with good automatic QoS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

barich

New Around Here
I need to select a new router for my parents. They've got two VoIP lines, a few computers that perform cloud backups, and do a lot of video and audio streaming. Their internet connection is very asymmetrical (20 Mbps down and 1.5 Mbps up). The backups are throttled to 384 Kbps, but there are still occasional issues with the other party not being able to hear them, presumably due to upstream congestion.

Right now, their hand-me-down Linksys EA4500 needs to be rebooted regularly and has poor wireless performance and range. I'd like to replace it with something stable that has the ability to manage the limited upstream bandwidth so they don't have the issues they're having now. I'd rather not spend more than $200, but if it's necessary, I'll do so.

Wireless range is relatively important but performance is less so - any device that can reasonably be connected via Ethernet is.

Suggestions?

asus broadcom platform is stable and some have automatic QoS. I would install RMerlin's firmware and i am sure @RMerlin or @hggomes know more about which firmwares and models support automatic QoS.

Some other brands do have similar though but i recommend asus because i've not had to reboot it yet. I also suggest not using hardware acceleration because it is not needed and is more stable to not use. I use an AC3200 as an AP and wireless performs quite well and i suggest tweaking the router you choose as best you can.