What's new

starting to customize

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bhyde

New Around Here
Thanks for the work on this firmware! I just switched over after the last Tomato update appeared to cause various issues for me. My family is pleased.

My primary desire is to be able to edit my /jffs/scripts via emacs' tramp. That doesn't work out because tramp want's to use id to determine the gid of the admin user. Easy, I thought, I'll just provide a mock id executable.

At this point I discover I don't know what I'm doing :). For example I notice that /home/admin is in the default path; but /home/admin doesn't exit. Huh? In fact there are lot of things in the default PATH that look like a reasonable place to park my little script.

But how and where? What is the "standard" approach. The how: My guess is that need to arrange to have the script created during startup. In a /jffs/script/init-start ?

I get the sense that the problem I'm addressing (Augmenting admin's setup in simple ways?) is very common. I can see lots of ways of approaching it.

I'd be delighted to know what the "standard" approach is. There is probably something I ought to have read by now.