What's new

State of the project (August 2016)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Over the last year, Asus has been moving an increasing amount of code into closed-source binary files, as they seek to prevent end-users (and third party developers) from bypassing existing radio regulations, most particularly those recently put in place by the FCC. While this does allow third party developers to continue their work, it creates a couple of problems, and make my work on this project increasingly difficult.

Whenever a new GPL release is published by Asus to accompany a new firmware release, many of the binary components of that GPL are only compatible with this specific router model. That means that a compatible GPL release must also exist for all other models to make it possible to also support these other models, unless the changes are minor enough to allow older binary blobs to still be compatible. Now, since the amount of code moved into these components keeps increasing, it means the likelihood of older versions to remain compatible is constantly decreasing. 380.61 for instance required two different "hacks" to be able to support all models in this release. I deemed it was important to do this time, as this is the first release compatible with the new firmware validation (which has been in place for two months now). I do not expect to go through the same headaches for future releases however.

After reviewing my options, I have come to the following conclusions:

1) From now on, Asuswrt-Merlin releases will never be guaranteed to support all models. Support will always depend on what GPL releases are available from Asus.

2) The amount of original development (meaning new features or major changes) on this project will continue to decrease. The current code is diverting too much from Asus's original code, and that code is becoming increasingly complex. Merging new GPL releases is increasingly difficult. Rather than completely fork away from Asus's development, I decided for the time being to stand my ground at the current code state, and focus primarily on just keeping up-to-date with new releases from Asus.

3) Release frequency will continue to be more erratic, as they have been for the past year, unlike in the past where I would typically push out a new release every month. Once again, this will be tied to Asus's own release schedule for the specific models I'm supporting.

4) I might need to drop support for some models earlier than originally anticipated, as I have become too dependent on Asus issuing updates for all of these models at the same time. Less popular models such as the RT-AC56U or the RT-AC3200U might be the first potential victims (especially the latter, as it's the only model running on its own unique SDK version)

In short, I would say that from now on, Asuswrt-Merlin has reached a certain level of maturity, where focus will be moved away from on-going development and more into maintenance mode. Less frequent releases, with fewer changes. I'll see how things will work out over the coming months.

I thought the mips N66 and AC66, would be most likely to drop off first, then the Quantenna AC87 ... oh I seem to be fully supporting your post Merlin, thanks - have a great summer!

Eric, I commend you on your previous work and your committment to still continue to offer your services to the community. There's only so many ways to thank you for what you do for us.
So, thank you.

With the release of the 380.61 firmware, I finally have a reliable and stable AC-3200. This is the best firmware I've seen to date. If the updates slow down or in the case of the AC-3200 Merlin drops the continued updates, I am fine with the 380.61 firmware as it stands now.

Last edited:
Well I guess I'll be selling my 3200 :(

Is there any reason to suspect that it won't continue to be a good router for at least a few more years?

Hello Eric, many thanks for your effort. Merlin firmware is the reason why I use ASUS routers. I'm planning to keep my AC68 as long as it is usable.

Thanks for all that you do Eric! Hoping that support for the AC56U won't go away too quickly.

Cheers!

UG! I just bought my AC3200 too after selling my AC87U. I keep buying the wrong router. Merlin, do you have any suggestions for ASUS router models to use? Thanks!

The amount of original development (meaning new features or major changes) on this project will continue to decrease. The current code is diverting too much from Asus's original code, and that code is becoming increasingly complex. Merging new GPL releases is increasingly difficult. Rather than completely fork away from Asus's development, I decided for the time being to stand my ground at the current code state, and focus primarily on just keeping up-to-date with new releases from Asus.

Understood - and the challenge (which some people might think about) is that forking off is only a short term solution as newer HW capability and SW functionality comes on line, which would start to limit things.

You've done a great job with AsusWRT-RMerlin - and there's a few folks that understand the level of effort that it does take to get a build out, even for testing.

I have to say, for my needs Merlin firmware always out performed stock asus in my VoIP tests. with .61 it is over the top and now the benchmark to follow. It is indeed sad to hear this news. When I first heard the FCC rules I knew it is a matter of time. Freaking government sucks and servs no purpose for liberty and freedom.

Anyway, I do hope ASUS realizes how important 3rd party development is for their own product and keeps you going with solid code you can continue your fine work in.

Thanks

glad I went with 68U/R/P series and 380.59 is running so well in my setup here I may not update past this into these new releases.

UG! I just bought my AC3200 too after selling my AC87U. I keep buying the wrong router. Merlin, do you have any suggestions for ASUS router models to use? Thanks!

Whatever router suits your particular needs. There's no right or wrong choice there, as long the router does the job for which it was purchased.

Whatever router suits your particular needs. There's no right or wrong choice there, as long the router does the job for which it was purchased.

And there may be a day where that's what you get...

Ever been to the Airport and heard this - "moving walkway is nearing it's end, please watch your step"... but from a pragmatic view, things could go there - best outcome perhaps is RMerlin goes with Asus full-time, either as an employee or Consultant - he's done good things here...

When the government gets involved it stifles No DESTROYS innovation. You think this is about controlling WiFi you have benign intelligence. This is all about picking apart net neutrality moving toward government control of the net. Remember encryption and the cyrpto war a few years back, ya the government won

When the government gets involved it stifles No DESTROYS innovation. You think this is about controlling WiFi you have benign intelligence. This is all about picking apart net neutrality moving toward government control of the net. Remember encryption and the cyrpto war a few years back, ya the government won

Let's not go down that rathole - I appreciate your feelings, but this would take things on this topic a bit off track...

And there may be a day where that's what you get...

Ever been to the Airport and heard this - "moving walkway is nearing it's end, please watch your step"... but from a pragmatic view, things could go there - best outcome perhaps is RMerlin goes with Asus full-time, either as an employee or Consultant - he's done good things here...
A lot of the "good" I've done is because I wasn't bound by any corporate rules, not because of any particular skills. A lot of Asus's current developers are well above my skill level as programmers.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk