What's new

State of the project (August 2016)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I must say, as a grateful user for quite a number of years, I'm appreciative of the effort that must have been expended getting to this point. Whatever you decide is the future, I'm sure the majority here would support your decision - even if that meant you withdrawing from this software and pursuing other interests.
Thank you for your dedication and support.

As a long-term user of RMerlin's builds (maybe 3 years?) and lurker here for as long, I would whole-heartedly agree with this. It's a labor of love for RMerlin, to which nobody is entitled, and while I'd of course love for my 68U to keep getting updated I'd have no grounds for complaint if it - and maybe all ASUS routers - stopped being supported by this very valued project.

So you telling him to just quit making firmware??? I'm sure many would disagree here. Many here including myself would never have purchased Asus or Netgear had it not been for RMerlins firmware.

I'm not suggesting that at all - perhaps a kind suggestion to limit the scope of work, as right now it's very broad across many models and the underlying SDK's...

At the same time - RMerlin's skills here, managing this kind of effort, might be better put to use with other public efforts that can reach a wider audience, working with either the DDWRT/OpenWRT/LEDE teams - as his insight into the architecture would be helpful, along with his experience working across multiple architectures.

As for the other comment in this thread about the FCC forcing TP-Link to accept 3rd party firmware, I see nothing wrong with that at all. In fact I always thought they were required to in the first place due to the open source type firmware. They lose nothing by allowing it.

Any comments about FCC, restrictions/allowances/policy - this is out of scope of the thread here - which is RMerlin's project status moving forward, nothing more or less... there's plenty of threads that already exist, and perhaps contribute to those instead.

thanks for all you do and all you have done. You breathed new life into my 66N when it needed it, and you have made my current double AC56 WAP setup faster and more functional.
I know when I upgrade again I will check to see what you are up to before I make any purchase.
cheers!

Over the last year, Asus has been moving an increasing amount of code into closed-source binary files, as they seek to prevent end-users (and third party developers) from bypassing existing radio regulations, most particularly those recently put in place by the FCC. While this does allow third party developers to continue their work, it creates a couple of problems, and make my work on this project increasingly difficult...

Like most everyone here I'm really grateful to you for the asuswrt-merlin firmware you have provided, and sounds like you will continue to provide, even if on a more limited basis. Merlin is the reason I love the ASUS wireless routers I have owned over the years. Please keep us updated on which SKUs have the most associated routers, so we'll have some idea of which routers to purchase in the future. Again your efforts have not gone in vain; you are very much appreciated.

Over the last year, Asus has been moving an increasing amount of code into closed-source binary files, as they seek to prevent end-users (and third party developers) from bypassing existing radio regulations, most particularly those recently put in place by the FCC. While this does allow third party developers to continue their work, it creates a couple of problems, and make my work on this project increasingly difficult.

Whenever a new GPL release is published by Asus to accompany a new firmware release, many of the binary components of that GPL are only compatible with this specific router model. That means that a compatible GPL release must also exist for all other models to make it possible to also support these other models, unless the changes are minor enough to allow older binary blobs to still be compatible. Now, since the amount of code moved into these components keeps increasing, it means the likelihood of older versions to remain compatible is constantly decreasing. 380.61 for instance required two different "hacks" to be able to support all models in this release. I deemed it was important to do this time, as this is the first release compatible with the new firmware validation (which has been in place for two months now). I do not expect to go through the same headaches for future releases however.

After reviewing my options, I have come to the following conclusions:

1) From now on, Asuswrt-Merlin releases will never be guaranteed to support all models. Support will always depend on what GPL releases are available from Asus.

2) The amount of original development (meaning new features or major changes) on this project will continue to decrease. The current code is diverting too much from Asus's original code, and that code is becoming increasingly complex. Merging new GPL releases is increasingly difficult. Rather than completely fork away from Asus's development, I decided for the time being to stand my ground at the current code state, and focus primarily on just keeping up-to-date with new releases from Asus.

3) Release frequency will continue to be more erratic, as they have been for the past year, unlike in the past where I would typically push out a new release every month. Once again, this will be tied to Asus's own release schedule for the specific models I'm supporting.

4) I might need to drop support for some models earlier than originally anticipated, as I have become too dependent on Asus issuing updates for all of these models at the same time. Less popular models such as the RT-AC56U or the RT-AC3200U might be the first potential victims (especially the latter, as it's the only model running on its own unique SDK version)

In short, I would say that from now on, Asuswrt-Merlin has reached a certain level of maturity, where focus will be moved away from on-going development and more into maintenance mode. Less frequent releases, with fewer changes. I'll see how things will work out over the coming months.

RMerlin, let me say that I do certainly appreciate the work you do; I feel my routers perform better when they're running your firmware. However, I starting to feel like a two-time loser, because I started running Asuswrt-Merlin with my RT-N16 a couple of years ago perhaps, then Asuswrt-Merlin support was discontinued for it. I then put Advanced Tomato on it to to keep it current and to hold me over until I could get another supported router; I got a AC56U in a kickass eBay deal earlier this year to replace the RT-N16, and, now, it looks like support for the AC56U may be on the chopping block because of FCC regs and Asus' shenanigans.

Ultimately, I know it's not your fault, but FML ;-P

I do not know, I am just talking out loud here. I tried the latest for some time and found it ti be PITA. the .61 build was a reflection of the poor performance of the Asus original so I don't blame Merlin at all. I tried both OEM and .61 to a point it was not fun any more so I reverted back to a build I trusted and found worked with my setup. Now I am at a cross road, do I stay here at this build until my two RTs bite the dust with no updates or do I get forced into the land of control? I am forced to choose the stay at the good and refuse the control.

My thoughts, Merlin if I was you, If I had the talent, I would simply draw a line in the proverbial sand use the last true open source and branch off your own adding fixes and updated, patches and security bugs as they are revealed. You obviously have a loyalty to Asus which is a good thing, I wont use DD-WRT simply because and I know it is a matter of time before the inevitable happens and I am forced to go under the thumb of control. But until then
VIVA LA FREEDOM

I do not know, I am just talking out loud here. I tried the latest for some time and found it ti be PITA. the .61 build was a reflection of the poor performance of the Asus original so I don't blame Merlin at all. I tried both OEM and .61 to a point it was not fun any more so I reverted back to a build I trusted and found worked with my setup. Now I am at a cross road, do I stay here at this build until my two RTs bite the dust with no updates or do I get forced into the land of control? I am forced to choose the stay at the good and refuse the control.

My thoughts, Merlin if I was you, If I had the talent, I would simply draw a line in the proverbial sand use the last true open source and branch off your own adding fixes and updated, patches and security bugs as they are revealed. You obviously have a loyalty to Asus which is a good thing, I wont use DD-WRT simply because and I know it is a matter of time before the inevitable happens and I am forced to go under the thumb of control. But until then
VIVA LA FREEDOM

Helo, i am from Spain. Sorry for my bad english. I have a RT-AC56u and works very nice with asus Merlin .61. Wifi 2,4 anda 5mhz works very good. The original firmware (no beta) in my RT the wifi 2,4 works very bad. The beta v9....... from asus works bad and asus is very slow pulling updates.

Asus Merlin thanks to you my router works well.

Thank you for your great work Merlin!

How many donations you need to keep up the updates of the AC3200?

I really would appreciate further updates!

Thank you for your great work Merlin!

How many donations you need to keep up the updates of the AC3200?

I really would appreciate further updates!

It's not a matter of money. It's a matter of how frequently does Asus themselves provide updated binary components for that specific model. Without them, I can't do anything.

Merlin, it's long time not to visit this forum. And I represent myself to thank you for supporting ASUS firmware, software and anything. There are too many new features / models / platform to merge and porting code in the future, it has the reason to decrease supporting model, I think it's a good choice for you. For myself, merging code and feature are much harder than before. Because of FCC, there are too many restrictions in release GPL, I still hope I can provide useful help for you to make your project better and smoothly. Thanks again.

Vanic

Merlin, it's long time not to visit this forum. And I represent myself to thank you for supporting ASUS firmware, software and anything. There are too many new features / models / platform to merge and porting code in the future, it has the reason to decrease supporting model, I think it's a good choice for you. For myself, merging code and feature are much harder than before. Because of FCC, there are too many restrictions in release GPL, I still hope I can provide useful help for you to make your project better and smoothly. Thanks again.

Vanic

Thanks Vanic. Glad to see you're still around :)

I spoke with C.C. a few weeks ago to see if there could be some way to make it easier for me to get access to the necessary binary blobs. Unfortunately, he mentioned that it was difficult because, even internally, the code was separated in different branches. I can see how it can be a problem even for you and the rest of the team, having to deal with so many different models, with different feature sets.

I'll see how things work out once the 382 code base is released, and whether or not I'm still able to continue with this project as it currently exists, or not.

Thanks Vanic. Glad to see you're still around :)

I spoke with C.C. a few weeks ago to see if there could be some way to make it easier for me to get access to the necessary binary blobs. Unfortunately, he mentioned that it was difficult because, even internally, the code was separated in different branches. I can see how it can be a problem even for you and the rest of the team, having to deal with so many different models, with different feature sets.

I'll see how things work out once the 382 code base is released, and whether or not I'm still able to continue with this project as it currently exists, or not.

You are the best my RT-AC56u works very well with merlin firmware. The wifi 2,4 with firmware from asus works very very bad. With firmware merlin all works okay.
I am happy XD (From Spain)

Thank you RMerlin for your contribution, you have done an awesome job! I hope I can see more development for the AC88 which replaced my (2) Cisco 1811Ws as the main connection to the Inet. I still use the 1811Ws for other things, one being a (slow) media bridge.

I thought the mips N66 and AC66, would be most likely to drop off first, then the Quantenna AC87 ... oh I seem to be fully supporting your post Merlin, thanks - have a great summer!

I hope not, I currently use the N66 and in some weeks also the AC87 too.

I own the 3200, it will be the last Asus router I purchase, I only purchased because of the updates Merlin was able to give in the past, but Asus has changed their system to be less mod friendly and since that was the only thing I liked above the others they will lose me as a customer. Nothing to do with what Merlin has done or said, it's all on Asus.

I own the 3200, it will be the last Asus router I purchase, I only purchased because of the updates Merlin was able to give in the past, but Asus has changed their system to be less mod friendly and since that was the only thing I liked above the others they will lose me as a customer. Nothing to do with what Merlin has done or said, it's all on Asus.

I don't think Asus realizes how much Merlin's firmware has helped their reputation and sales. They would do well to make his job as easy as possible.

Every router manufacturer has had to comply with the new FCC rules. If anything Asus has been one of the most mod friendly as some manufacturers have stopped supporting third party firmware completely.

Please read before commenting anymore: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ill-support-third-party-router-firmware.shtml

Every router manufacturer has had to comply with the new FCC rules. If anything Asus has been one of the most mod friendly as some manufacturers have stopped supporting third party firmware completely.

Please read before commenting anymore: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ill-support-third-party-router-firmware.shtml

I will either build my own router or purchase from another company. Asus routers suck without Merlins Firmware "that is my experience over the past several years" The reason why it's harder for Merlin to do his work is not really as important to me as it is to you. The end result is what I care about, which is he can't put out the firmwares like he use to do as per his own words and I have no interest in Asus without his firmware so as soon as the 3200 starts to act up or I want to upgrade to the latest, Asus will be history. Would be cool if Merlin built his own router and programmed it, i'd purchase that in a second!!!

I hope Merlin continues his work. On the other hand, ASUS published GPL of ASUS RT-N66U for firmware 3.0.0.4.380.3831:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-N66U_B1/GPL_RT_N66U_30043803831.zip
So maybe they will listen.

I too want to thank Merlin for his contribution, my RT-N66U runs smoothly with your firmware, i use it for more than 3 years now without any glitches. Your firmware made it even better. When i will need to change router, i will definitely go for ASUS (most likely RT-AC87U) - just because of your firmware and those small tweaks and enhancements it brings.