What's new

Static IP adresses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Diveblaster

Regular Contributor
Hi and first of all again ty for your great work on this alt firmware :=)
My question is regarding assigning static IP adresses. Its not the assigning itself thats the problem.
After i have assigned all IP adresses in the HDCP - Manually asigned IP adresses the IP-clients should take this if they are DHCP controlled. BUt in my case for example my Sonos speakers doesnt take the new IP that i assigned. They still go with the old DHCP assigned IP.
1. Can i force client from the router AC66U to change to the new IP adress which i have assigned?
2. Do i need to restart every client so they assign to the right IP?

I have rebooted router.

Best regards
Dive
Asus router RT-AC66U latest firmware 380.62 Merlin

Can i force client from the router AC66U to change to the new IP adress which i have assigned?

No. The DHCP protocol doesn't provide any mechanism to request a client to relinquish its lease. The client is the one that has to request a new lease.

Do i need to restart every client so they assign to the right IP?

That's correct.

Manually asigned IP adresses the IP-clients should take this if they are DHCP controlled.

are you referring to

Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list (Max Limit : 64)

or whats known as address reservation ?

if so ensure the Sonos speakers are set to obtain dhcp and dns automatically and then set their ip address in the router , you may need to restart the devices once you reserve the address , its prob a good idea to also restart the router so those ip address get fixed

1. Can i force client from the router AC66U to change to the new IP adress which i have assigned?

no , you must restart the clients

2. Do i need to restart every client so they assign to the right IP?

you may need to do this as well as restart the router after making sure all clients are set to obtain ip addresses automatically

note : all reserved addresses must be in the scope of the dhcp server of the asus

BUt in my case for example my Sonos speakers doesnt take the new IP that i assigned. They still go with the old DHCP assigned IP.

Turn off the Sonos - unplug them, keep them unplugged for a few minutes, and then power them back up... they should get the new leased IP from there.

note : all reserved addresses must be in the scope of the dhcp server of the asus

I understood it to be the opposite: the reservations were to be OUTSIDE of the DHCP pool. In practice I haven't seen a difference but I try to adhere to the policy that they are no longer "Dynamic" and should thus avoid the pool.

I understood it to be the opposite: the reservations were to be OUTSIDE of the DHCP pool. In practice I haven't seen a difference but I try to adhere to the policy that they are no longer "Dynamic" and should thus avoid the pool.
In the specific case of Asus routers the reservations are expected to be taken from within the pool. However it is not enforced and they can also be outside the pool. Asus did change the firmware a while back based on this expectation but had to revert it because it caused problems for people using out-of-pool reservations.

378.50 Beta 1 (25-Jan-2015)
- FIXED: dnsmasq would run out of available leases if you had a
very small DHCP pool combined with many out-of-pool
reservations. Now the limit will be either 253 or the
pool size, whichever is the largest (Asus issue)

Generally speaking, reservations are taken from within a pool whereas static IPs (hard set on a host's NIC) are outside any pools.

Generally speaking, reservations are taken from within a pool whereas static IPs (hard set on a host's NIC) are outside any pools.

this also makes logical sense as you dont want static ip ( adapter set ) addresses within the pool as you will get conflicts with the dhcp server addresses , seeing as the dhcp server is setting the reserved addresses it makes sense for them to be within the pool , oddly tp link have it the other way and reserved addresses much be outside the pool , no wonder ppl get confused

pete

seeing as the dhcp server is setting the reserved addresses it makes sense for them to be within the pool

Perhaps "outside" so there is no conflict with dynamic addresses already in use?

Perhaps "outside" so there is no conflict with dynamic addresses already in use?

Whether reserved or not, the IP comes from the DHCP server in both cases anyway, so it would be expected that the DHCP server would keep track of every single leases it allocated, not just those that were 100% dynamic.

Part of the confusion comes from people not always making the distinction between a static IP and a reserved IP (or what is sometime called a static lease). A static IP means the DHCP server has no knowledge of it, and can cause issues. Sure, the DHCP server might first check if the IP is already in use on the LAN, however the LAN device might be asleep or temporarily offline, so such a check would be no guarantee.

Having the reservations within the pool is often a personal design decision, as some people want the pool to only be 100% randomly allocated IPs. A few "best practice" document (such as Microsoft's Technet) however recommend to keep the reservations within that pool, as it's a "cleaner" design.

Whether reserved or not, the IP comes from the DHCP server in both cases anyway, so it would be expected that the DHCP server would keep track of every single leases it allocated, not just those that were 100% dynamic.

yup thats how i see it , a reserved ip addresses is still controlled by the dhcp server so it knows what is reserved and allocates to only that device it then allows others to connect to the rest of the available pool , most ppl reduce the address pool to the allocate space outside the pool for static based connections

the dhcp server does not control or care or have any knowledge ( in domestic type routers ) of static set adapters , the issue arises when users create conflicts by allocating static ip addresses within the pool , these days its far better to use reserved ip addressing anyway as most devices are portable and roam outside of the home wifi and need to have dynamic ip addressing to be able to connect to various other wifi setups

It is the responsibility of the person administering the DHCP server to ensure that any new reservations aren't already in use by another client. If there is a conflict then it's usually a simple matter to reboot the offending client (after the reservation entry has been created) so that it picks up a different address.

Out of interest I did double-check the official Microsoft and dnsmasq documentation and neither of them even mention the "inside pool" or "outside pool" concept. In fact the only stipulation is that the reserved address is within the same subnet that contains the pool (or scope).

dnsmasq:
Addresses allocated like this are not constrained to be in the range given by the --dhcp-range option, but they must be in the same subnet as some valid dhcp-range.

At the end of the day it just comes down to user preference.

So I have been trying to post a reply and a big fat overlay displays over my reply saying I cannot post because I used a word or phrase that triggered a security block. It refers to a particular "CloudFlare Ray ID" but that ID number is not visible because the overlay is too big for my 1920x1200 monitor.

Part of the confusion comes from people not always making the distinction between a static IP and a reserved IP (or what is sometime called a static lease).

And part by the ASUS wording "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list." When I think of wrapping paper going "around" a box, it is external to the box itself.

And yes, we all need to me more careful with our choice of words and abbreviations--especially m for milli and M for Mega, b for bits and B for Bytes.

Out of interest I did double-check the official Microsoft and dnsmasq documentation and neither of them even mention the "inside pool" or "outside pool" concept.

I saw it in a best practice document on Technet a few years ago relative to Windows Server.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk