What's new

Staying Logged In To Forums Longer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jegesq

Very Senior Member
Is there any way you can adjust/increase the amount of time that one stays logged into the forums? I have experienced on several occasions instances where I log in (with username and password), find a message I intend to respond to, and after spending some time writing my post, attempt to post it only to be met with a message that I am now logged out; the message advises to go back a page and then log back in. Of course, this results in my message (which I've just spent considerable time writing...enough time to get logged out) being lost completely, and the only alternative is to either try to retype it again, or just throw my hands up and conclude that it will be a futile effort, so I just don't post.

Yeah, I know that it's probably better practice to type my message into a text editor on my own computer first and then just cut and paste it into the web gui text editor on the forum, so it won't get lost, but that's a real PITA, and I think it's probably an unnecessary step.

So can you extend the time so that we stay logged in longer than whatever the current setting is?

Thanks and I hope this issue can be fixed. Your attention and cooperation will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi,
I never experienced it. I auto log in. /sounds like you are timing out for some reason.

When you log in, do you use the 'keep me logged in' checkbox?

What browser are you using?

Do you close the browser (all instances / tabs) and open it again during a session?

Do you have the browser clear it's cache when closing?

Just some things to check into.

When you log in, do you use the 'keep me logged in' checkbox?

What browser are you using?

Do you close the browser (all instances / tabs) and open it again during a session?

Do you have the browser clear it's cache when closing?

Just some things to check into.

You're on the right track here. It is most likely a browser-specific issue.

No matter what browser I use, there is no "keep me logged in" selection. That's the case for IE 11 with Win8, Chrome, Firefox, ad infinitum.

There is a button that reads "remember me" which at other forums usually means that there's a cookie set so that when one logs back in, one's user name and password are automatically filled in.

Is "remember me" the check box that you are all referring to? I've set that in the past, but I can still be auto-logged out if a period of inactivity exceeds whatever timing settings the forums here are set to.

I've looked all through the User Control Panel settings, in Forum Help, and anywhere else that there are user-configurable options. Where do you folks find the "keep me logged in" check box?

And no, I'm not opening and closing tabs or my browser. This occurs if, for example, I'm composing a message, and I thus am not technically "interacting" with (i.e., loading pages) the forum. So, for example, if I am "inactive" for 15 minutes while I'm composing the message, then finish the message, hit "save" in order to post it, I'm taken to another page which says that I'm not logged in and have to do so in order to post. If I hit "back" then of course all the text I typed into the message box is now gone.

Most forums I've used over many years do have "timeout" features where a user will just not stay logged on forever if the site does not receive any requests for pages; in those circumstances, most forum software (especially PHP software forums) will just log the user off. And that's what I suspect is happening here.

I will try checking "remember me" but in my experience, that sort of tick box has an entirely different usage and does not keep a user logged in when the site perceives that you are inactive beyond the automatic timeout limits set for log-ins.

Last edited:
Yes, it is the 'remember me' checkbox.

Do you have anything like CCleaner that runs automatically?

Or worse, an A/V suite like Norton?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!