What's new

Steam games stream well over PPTP but not OPENVPN.

• Thread starter Deleted member 27741
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 27741

Hi all been a long time since I rapped at you.

Want to stream steam games via vpn? My N66U's PPTP works like a charm (windows rdp will block the console though so use another remote program to access the stream server if possible). If you must use windows rdp (I use it to start steam on my stream server) you can run the following AS ADMIN in a batch file to unblock the screen for streaming.

for /f "tokens=4 delims= " %%G in ('tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq tasklist.exe" /NH') do SET RDP_SESSION=%%G
echo %RDP_SESSION%
C:\Windows\System32\tscon.exe %RDP_SESSION% /dest:console

I cannot get openvpn working reliably for vpn steam streaming, probably not worth the effort when PPTP works so well and you don't really need fort knox encryption for gaming. I do hope that maybe John's newest version (with updated openvpn) will allow openvpn to be used, but getting it working would be more of an academic exercise, seeing as how PPTP is faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm interested if anyone has a working PPTP or OpenVPN Merlin setup for streaming Steam games with a Mac client. I've been trying a few things and I can't seem to get to work. I tried using PrimoVPN client for the PPTP config and it connects fine and I can ping, connect to whatever on my home network but the two steam clients don't see each other. This works fine when the Mac client (Macbook Pro) is physically at home on my WiFi. I've tried disabling windows firewall, etc. I know Steam does some UDP broadcasting to get this to work but I'd love to know if someone already had this working on a similar setup.