What's new

Storage for a OSX Server configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

awaldraff

New Around Here
Have been using Buffalo NAS since the first Linkstation came out.

I recently embarked in the project of setting up a home server using Mountain Lion server. So far I am very happy with the results, but I am starting to run out of storage, and I am not sure which way to go from here..

Main storage need are backups and media. I have 5 accounts and four computers (2 laptops, an iMac and the Mac Mini server). We mostly save all data on the server, laptops and iMac function as thin clients. I have setup a mobile account in a Macbook Air, mostly b/c my employer does not have Wi-FI (I know). Largest account is about 20 gigs.

Our media collection is about 800 gigs and stored on an old Terastation, setup with RAID 10 under 4 1TB disks. I backup it on a removable 1Tb disk which I rotate weekly at my parents home.

I am open to a NAS, but in my ideal world, logging in to shares should be authenticated against the server, and not have its own security settings. I also thought about thunderbolt DAS (a Drobo 5D), which can be authenticated against the server, but I believe it might be overkill. It certainly is expensive.

I am hoping to spend up to 600 to 700. I am thinking of a solution that gives me some 5 years life (about the same I've got from the terastation) and have at least 4Tb initially with an option to expand later if needed..

Are there any options I am overlooking? Performance is not my main priority, but a combination of capacity and performance would be great.

Heaviest load is when i get the two Apple TVs in the house to stream at the same time. It happens at least twice a week. I also access files remotely at least once a day.. A god thing in my setup is that Time machine backups happen remotely!

would love to hear your ideas!

If you're apple-centric, stay in that world. Get some mini-MAC with TIme Machine or some such. If you want to pay apple's giant margins.

Else get a small 2 drive NAS from Synology or QNAP. These are < $200 w/o drives. Shop for drive prices on ebay - prices have come down a lot lately. You can run RAID1 mirroring but I recommend and use two volumes, non-RAID- two file systems for protection from corruption and from drive failure.
And a USB3 or eSATA drive (big) for backup of only irreplaceable files.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!