What's new

N66U - Only 150mbps link rate on 5ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shobhitk

Regular Contributor
Hi everyone,
I am using 5ghz on N66U and getting full 450mbps link rate on all channels available to me on this band. However there are these 2 channels on 5ghz, if on which i connect, i get a link rate speed of only 150mbps! They are channel no. 36 and 40.

Can anyone please elaborate as to what is happening in these 2 channels? Also do different channels have different speed limits?

PS: Channel bonding is set to 40mhz.

Interference? Any other 5ghz routers in the area on those channels?

Sounds like a single stream client adapter...
But he says he's getting 450Mbps on all channels apart from 36 and 40, so it must be a 3 stream client. Would RFI on those channels make it work like a single stream device?

But he says he's getting 450Mbps on all channels apart from 36 and 40, so it must be a 3 stream client. Would RFI on those channels make it work like a single stream device?

Reported speed capability from the router/AP vs. client capabilities?

3-stream clients are not very common, and OP did not mention the client adapter type - 150 does look like a single stream client pending the ID of the client adapter.

i am receiving 450mbps on all other channels (ie. on the client side). btw on 36 and 40 the link rate switches between 150 and 180mbps.

seems like interference but what could cause so much of it so as to severely attenuate the signal?

Please tell us what client adapter you are using.

Are you using a site survey feature on your wireless router to check for other networks on channels 36 and 40? The router may have more receive sensitivity than a client so it might see evidence of other networks and drop the bandwidth down. You might not see the same networks when checking from another device like a phone.