What's new

Strange dns stop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Emort

Occasional Visitor
Hello, hw is 68u
from time to time, (daily) I see that the device drops the DNS config or it gets locked, of course result is no internet out. Only way ATM is resetting new dns . I normaly switch between provider assigned DNS and my own, then I "only" have to move a slider. But it is a bit painful for the whole house.
any known bugs on this or fix?

/me

"device drops the DNS config or it gets locked" :confused: "drops", "locked" what do you mean by this exactly?

What DNS servers are you using when this happens?

What firmware version?

Hey, I realized that locked is a bit strange word. by locked I meen that is is just not resolving but entry is still there.
I have tried google, cloudflare and providers. there is no pattern her imo

What firmware version?

Do you see any errors in the router's System Log what this problem occurs?

Hi, i have attached a syslog where i think i narrowed it down (from June)

I notices:
""
Code:
May  5 07:05:09 kernel: JFFS2 notice: (107) check_node_data: wrong data CRC in data node at 0x03cc7a64: read 0x5a1e130c, calculated 0xbff8c54e.
Code:
May  5 07:05:10 WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
and then after a manual dns change:
Code:
May  5 07:05:21 WAN_Connection: WAN was restored.

Hello well that did not help

the jffs was cleared but the dns issue persists i have attached new syslog but the only hing i can see is that it sets"WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly."
around 9-02-21 at 14:00 i did a reboot
and 10-02-21 06:20 am as well

The message usually indicates that there was a problem with your ISP or your modem, not the router. Check the logs on your modem.

On the router change WAN > Internet Connection > DHCP query frequency to Continuous Mode.

Thanks i have now set "DHCP query frequency to Continuous Mode." and will see how that works. i dont have access to logs om ISP modem :-S
1612966873046.png

Well same issue again..
"Feb 12 15:23:39 WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly."
I moved the slider to no internet connection waited 1 min and the turned it on again. then it worked.
Are there deeper logs I can find to troubleshoot or should i just declare the router dead?

Attachments

• syslog (5).txt
    283.3 KB · Views: 100
There are fixes in 386.1 that address WAN DHCP renewal problems due to ASUS code. How long is your WAN lease duration from your ISP? It wasn't included in your syslog as far as I could see.

Run this command over SSH and see if you have hits on the rule where spt: 67 dpt: 68.
Code:
iptables -t mangle -nvL BWDPI_FILTER
You might have to wait until there is actually an attempt to renew the WAN lease. The fix in 386.1 is to remove that rule. You could do the same via the /jffs/scripts/firewall-start script.
Code:
iptables -t mangle -D BWDPI_FILTER -i eth0 -p udp --sport 67 --dport 68 -j DROP
Or maybe this has nothing to do with your problem. But I doubt it's a dead router.

EDIT: And this solution only applies if you have Adaptive QoS enabled. Do you?

Last edited:
well that did not help.
I will try another router just to confirm that the issue..

side note:
it almost feels like it is during chromecasting and when my wifes ipone is involved. as se is always the one that sees it first.
i work from home all day with out issues. but i can't pin-point it closer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!