What's new

Strange issue connecting to router/transmission

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dom2114

Occasional Visitor
My AC66R has be working flawlessly for months at this point.
I've got Transmission installed, use Asus DDNS, and have been able to connect, both locally and remotely, to the router and Transmission using the [hostname].asuscomm.com address with no issue.

Yesterday afternoon, having not touched any router settings at all, I have been unable to connect locally to the router or Transmission using the DDNS hostname. I can connect perfectly from a remote machine, but am forced to use the local IP address (rather than the hostname) when on the network.

Furthermore, when I go to the following website (when on the local network) and punch in my hostname, it takes me to my router/Transmission with no issue:
http://iplookup.asus.com/nslookup.php

Its not the biggest deal in the world, but it means I now have to use different bookmarks depending on whether I'm local/remote. Its frustrating as I didn't change a thing. I've rebuilt the router from scratch - thought I had it working for a while, but the issue has returned just a couple of hrs later.

Appreciate any advice!

FYI it seems to be a random, intermittent issue. Maybe works about 20% of the time at the moment?
Bizarre.

Try changing the NAT Loopback setting from Merlin to ASUS or vice verse.

Thank you for this suggestion. Looks to be working so far. Would've had no idea to search for this issue. Many thanks again.

Try changing the NAT Loopback setting from Merlin to ASUS or vice verse.
Yeah, still have the same issues after the change.
Also tried disabling QOS, using both Merlin and ASUS NAT loopback. No luck.

Last edited:
Check your transmission config - might be too many concurrent sessions there... every connection takes up memory, so you might be just running the device out...

Check your transmission config - might be too many concurrent sessions there... every connection takes up memory, so you might be just running the device out...
Thanks for the suggestion. What would you suggest for max per torrent and max overall?
And is there a way to figure out (e.g. in logs) if this is the cause of my issues?

Thanks for the suggestion. What would you suggest for max per torrent and max overall?
And is there a way to figure out (e.g. in logs) if this is the cause of my issues?

Man, I wouldn't even know where to start - as I don't do bit-t0rrent ;)

Take the current values and divide by half and see if that works...

And divide by half again if it still doesn't work? Sound like a plan. :)

Or simply limit to four concurrent torrents. It's one of the parameters in the config file. Better yet once you (..OP) finished download and fulfilled your upload ratio, restart Transmission. Make use of "run a script at the end of download" feature.

This saves tonnes of idle state RAM usage. Transmission seems not willing/unable to relinquish RAM once they're not needed. Of cos, this assumes you're not a 24/7 torrent warrior. It worked very well when I was an occasional torrent user.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!