Strange log messages spamming log

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by Diveblaster, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Diveblaster

Diveblaster Occasional Visitor

I got this in my log
    Jan 22 23:37:05 kernel: protocol 0000 is buggy, dev eth0
    Jan 22 23:37:16 kernel: protocol 0000 is buggy, dev eth0
    Jan 22 23:37:28 kernel: printk: 29 messages suppressed.
    Jan 22 23:37:28 kernel: protocol 0000 is buggy, dev eth0
    Jan 22 23:37:28 kernel: protocol 0000 is buggy, dev eth0

I read before in this forum that u had to turn off VPN broadcast. The problem is that I can't find that feature at all.

Router ASUS AC66U
    Firmware: 3.0.0.4.266.23

Best regards Dive

2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

They renamed to "Network Place (Samba) Support".

If it still keeps getting logged, there's the Broadcast Support dropdown menu on the VPN Details page.

4. ryzhov_al

ryzhov_al Senior Member

BTW, is it right that SAMBA tries to become master browser on WAN/MAN interfaces?
    I know we are behind firewall and there is no any security issues, but AFAIK, master browser will periodically broadcast/flood MAN/WAN interfaces with UDP packages while announcing its presence, or while requesting another master browser election before shutdown. I see at least two negative consequences:
    • to expose SAMBA presence to internet or provider's LAN segment,
    • to be banned by provider for flood (Beeline bans for that, tested on myself:) two years ago)

5. RMerlin

I have been pondering that question ever since I added the Master Browser option. I was wondering if perhaps you wouldn't want Samba to bind to the WAN port when running in AP or in Bridge mode. I guess the code could always specifically look for that scenario as well and adjust accordingly.

6. rlcronin

rlcronin Regular Contributor

Or add checkboxes for the interfaces it should bind to (perhaps defaulting them the way you describe, as that would likely be what most would want).
    --
    bc

7. RMerlin

I looked into it tonight. Asuswrt would bind to the WAN interface except while in AP mode (which made sense as the WAN interface doesn't have an IP in that case). I made it so it won't bind to WAN either while in router mode, and added a non-documented nvram var that allows to override this (I see no point in burdening the webui with that option since virtually no one should need that option).

I also made Master Browser/WINS work even if you have no USB disk plugged in - Samba will be started if either option gets enabled.