What's new

Strange Problem with ASUS RT-AC5300 behind FTTH Gateway

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rolfi

Occasional Visitor
Hi all!

I recently moved into a new apartment and the setup is the following:
The fiber optic cable is plugged into the FTTH gateway (DKT Comega, see attached photo). Then, the cobber cable (please ignore the second cable- it's not in use) connects the gateway with the living room, where the ASUS RT-AC5300 distributes the signal into the rooms via wifi.
Since I moved in, I got at least one disconnect from my machines in the wifi- when checking the logs on the router, it looks like something with the DHCP went wrong (Dual WAN is disabled in the ASUS GUI):

Apr 25 03:17:13 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Apr 25 03:17:13 DualWAN: skip single wan wan_led_control - WANRED off
Apr 25 03:17:14 nat: apply redirect rules
Apr 25 03:17:19 WAN Connection: Ethernet link up.
Apr 25 03:17:19 rc_service: wanduck 276:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
Apr 25 03:17:21 wan: [wan0_hwaddr] == [34:97:F6:XX:XX:XX]
Apr 25 03:18:21 rc_service: udhcpc 3167:notify_rc start_firewall
Apr 25 03:18:22 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)
Apr 25 03:18:23 wan: finish adding multi routes
Apr 25 03:18:23 rc_service: udhcpc 3167:notify_rc stop_upnp
Apr 25 03:18:23 rc_service: udhcpc 3167:notify_rc start_upnp
Apr 25 03:18:23 rc_service: waitting "stop_upnp" via udhcpc ...
Apr 25 03:18:24 wan: finish adding multi routes
Apr 25 03:18:24 dhcp client: bound XX.XX.XX.96 via XX.XX.XX.1 during 1163 seconds.
Apr 25 03:18:29 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.

So I called my ISP and they told me, that they don't see anything in the logs, except that the gateway requests an IP, but also the Asus router (I compared the MAC addresses they gave me).
So my questions are the following:
1) Why is the ASUS router behind the gateway requesting an IP at the ISP side? Shouldn't it just get the IP from the gateway / subnet the internal network over wifi?

2) Are the error messages in the logs connected to the problem I was describing, or is that a problem by itself?

Thanks a bunch in advance,
rolfi

Attachments

• IMG_20190425_184608.jpg
    IMG_20190425_184608.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 479
Will this also solve the "problem" of double requiring the IP from the ISP?
I don't think that's actually a problem. I don't have FTTH so it might be different, but with a normal cable modem the connection is "bridged". So your FTTH gateway will request a private address for itself and your router will request a public address for itself.

Thanks Colin. I will try the solution from this post and report back.

Will this also solve the "problem" of double requiring the IP from the ISP?

Unfortunately, even after those changes I am still getting the error messages and frequent disconnects from the Internet :/
In one of the threads I found here, somebody solved the problem with a new cable. I hope that's it...

I don't think that's actually a problem. I don't have FTTH so it might be different, but with a normal cable modem the connection is "bridged". So your FTTH gateway will request a private address for itself and your router will request a public address for itself.

Hmmm...but the ASUS router is connected to the FTTH gateway, which, on the other hand, is connected to the fiber plug. Shouldn't in that case only the FTTH gateway request an IP address, and not the ASUS router as well? I am no expert, but it just doesn't make sense to me, that both request a public IP from the ISP...

Well, nothing solved the problem so far:
I switched from aggressive to normal as described in the linked post and also replaced all the cables.

Is there anything more I can do, except for buying a new router? Because the disconnects are extremely annoying :/