What's new

Strange problem with RT-AC87U 2400 Gigabit Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beastmaster

New Around Here
Hi all

First, apologies in advance as I'm very new to all this side of things.

I've got one of the above routers wired to a gigabit switch, to which are connected an Xbox One, PS4, Apple TV and my works laptop as and when I need to.

What's happened is quite odd. I was downloading a digital game on PSN whilst using a VPN to get onto the works network. I was running TOAD to connect to Oracle databases and started getting TNS Timeouts. Also a couple of hyperlinks for URLs that I've used before seem to be looking externally as I'm getting the BT page saying it can't find what I'm looking for.

It seems as though all the resources were allocated to the PSN download and it somehow mixed up the VPN connection. I know the software for this has traffic management so is there any way I can give 'priority' to my works laptop? I've got a workaround for it but it's a bit of a pain and don't want to have to keep doing this every time this happens.

I suppose the easiest thing for me to do is press the reset button on the back of the router for 5 seconds and it'll probably sort itself out. What will this actually do by the way? I take it it won't reset the admin and WiFi password setting and just clear something out? What exactly?

Thanks for your help.

Pressing the rear orange reset button for 5 seconds will reset the router to factor default condition.

You will have to start from scratch to re-enter all the router settings again, including the admin name and passwords and everything, just like setting up the router for the first time.

While connected to the VPN, most likely you are using another DNS.
Manually set your ISP or google DNS on the VPN interface.
If using Windows VPN client, try to disable 'Use default gateway on remote network", thus not using the VPN for general internet use. You should speak to your admin and see what private IP range(s) your work network uses and manually route only traffic to the Oracle servers through VPN interface, something like:
route ADD xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx MASK xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Means:
route ADD “network” MASK “subnet mask” “gateway ip”

Thanks for the responses.

I'm just wondering if there's an easier way around this? A bit more info here (and a bit of repetition, sorry).

Even if none of the other devices are connected, it’s still giving me the same timeouts etc. when on the VPN. I’ve powered off the router but that’s not made a difference. I assume it has “made its decision” and that’s how it’s staying. Will a reboot from the router software be enough or do I have to go to the router and hold down the reset button for over 5 seconds?

If I just use the laptop on the Wi-Fi, then anything connected to via Ethernet can manage itself and run as best it can without interfering with the Wi-Fi? I can see there’s a bottle-neck with 4 devices connected up via a switch but I never had this problem with my previous router. Or do I need to prioritise the traffic to give my laptop the highest priority, regardless?I can see Gaming at the top etc. Would I put 'Others' and 'File Transferring' on the top?

Or can I simply switch off Adaptive QoS when using the VPN? I don't really know what this does. That would really be handy if I could have a way to switch the current setting on or off depending on if I'm working from home or not.

I have a fob for the password so it's always changing every time I log on, so I can't have any permanent settings for work VPN stored on the router.

Thanks for your help/advice.