What's new

streaming video to my SSGT 4 and chromecast

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

StanleeSPUDwowski

Occasional Visitor
I have an ASUS RT-AC68p wireless router setup as AP mode. the DLNA media server is enabled and the 4tb drive is connected via 3.0 port. the whole drive is shared manually on the asus router. i can get to the drive no problem from my desktop but from my SS galaxy tablet 4 i can not access the folder that has all of my video, pics, movies etc the app that i use on my tablet is EA file manager it says there are no permissions for this folder. i connect the SS to via chromecast on my tv so i want to stream a movie from the SS galaxy to chromecast via storage on my asus. what app is the best to use on the SS galaxy tablet for this? do i need an ASUS app from android?

You dont need an app for it, media devices pick it up automatically and media players that are DLNA capable can pick up the server and stream.

how do you figure? hmm kind of do need an app to stream on the SS galaxy via chromecast. I can not not find an app that works with streaming from the attached hard drive to the Asus router. so far SMB does not work i am only seeing a few of the folders on the drive not all of them, DLNA capable app does not work either doesnt pick up the folders either.

Chromecast is set up to stream content from the internet. 99% of the apps that are Chromecast compatible work that way. Check out the AllCast app though. I think it may be able to stream local content to a Chromecast.

@System - If I'm understanding you correctly you are suggesting that if his TV is a smart TV that supports DLNA he could stream directly.

yup, DLNA works automatically if the device supports it. For your phone theres VLC media player that works on direct files but it may require a good connection. It seems by default android doesnt come with a DLNA capable app and VLC doesnt have DLNA either but it lets you point to a server to stream from.

Plex is great though im not sure if it will work with your setup as it requires the plex media server running on the content server. It supports DLNA but im not sure if the player picks up local ones. I've found that even with transcode you cannot stream 4Mb/s smoothly over 2.4 Ghz wifi.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!