What's new

Strong MESH WIFI Kit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pege63

Very Senior Member
Is there anyone whoes tested out this two Mesh Wifi?

Strong WiFi Kit 1600 2,4+5GHz
strong-range-extender-1600.jpg

Strong WiFi kit 1700 5GHz Duo

strong-connection-kit-duo.jpg

hi

i dont think its actual mesh topology , looks like it works the same way the orbi system currently does in star topology with the added benefit that the range extender can be plugged in via ethernet and used as a wireless access point as well

Its says: MESH technology is not new, it is used today in professional products in public places such as airports, hotels, etc.

STRONG Wi-Fi is the first to launch MESH technology to private consumers, and thus make professional technology available to all who have problems with their wireless networks. All units included in a MESH network has the same name (SSID), the units behave as a single entity.

The units have an intelligent control of all devices connected between all nodes to ensure optimal quality and speed. Meanwhile reserved capacity for users who stream.

So i just wonder, its not that expensive the 1600 cost 120USD and the 1700 150USD.

strong in what sense? Is it better than throwing a brick at someone? Can it be used as a hammer? Does it have kilo or megawatt amplifiers?

Seems to have 2 ethernet ports though. Is it truely a mesh network in that it can balance clients between APs?

Is it truely a mesh network in that it can balance clients between APs?

and thats what i question as there is nothing in the blurb suggesting inter ap communication , the diagram is the exact same way you currently connect the orbi which at this stage doesnt have inter op type mesh connectivity ether

The units have an intelligent control of all devices connected between all nodes to ensure optimal quality and speed.

but this refers to band steering and bandwidth steering , not really anything to do with mesh as such

the word "mesh" is being overused and just another way to advertise and confuse jonny punter and his bag of cash

Mesh topology is where each node in the network is connected to every other node around it. So, if you take the home network star topology, but then allow the smartphone, laptop, and Xbox to talk directly to each other, you have a mesh topology.

Could you link to a true mesh topology/technology unit/device that functions as it is said, both for professionals and home users as a reference?

How about this Plume?

If i Enable "Smart Connect" to let the router intelligently select the best WiFi band 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz for WiFi connections. Smart Connect requires the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks to use the same WiFi network name (SSID), security options and password.

Do i get a mesh network then?

Last edited:
If i Enable "Smart Connect" to let the router intelligently select the best WiFi band 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz for WiFi connections. Smart Connect requires the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks to use the same WiFi network name (SSID), security options and password.

Do i get a mesh network then?
no thats band steering

mesh topology

A mesh network is a network topology in which each node relays data for the network. All mesh nodes cooperate in the distribution of data in the network. Mesh networks can relay messages using either a flooding technique or a routing technique.

star topology

A star topology is a topology for a Local Area Network (LAN) in which all nodes are individually connected to a central connection point, like a hub or a switch. A star takes more cable than e.g. a bus, but the benefit is that if a cable fails, only one node will be brought down.

Last edited:
1. Could you link to a true mesh unit/device that functions as it is said, both for professionals and home users as a reference?
Or is Ubiquiti’s Amplifi a real true Wi-Fi mesh device?

2. So mesh nodes can be Router/Gateway/Hub/Switch/WiFi Card, connected by cable to a WiFi APs with Mesh Technology. And give all units in the MESH network the same SSID and then the units behave as a single entity. Like its used today in public places such as airports, hotels, etc?

3. Is MESH a technology or a topology or is it both in a singel unit/device?

Last edited:
So mesh nodes can be Router/Gateway/Hub/Switch/WiFi Card, connected by cable

this is where the confusion is , true mesh topology is where the ap's are not connected by ethernet and connect to each other and to a main router or ethernet via wireless alone , you can think of it a bit like the old WDS system although its not that similar

open-mesh have been doing the concept for a while now
http://www.open-mesh.com/

so yes its a topology where the ap's form a collective and become one mind ( a bit like the borg re star trek ) thus allowing the client devices to roam without disconnection and seamlessly while the backhaul is passed between ap's to get to the primary point which is connected by ethernet

in the amplifi blurb it states

Amplifi works by creating a mesh network rather than by "extending" Wi-Fi. Traditional Wi-Fi extenders (along with repeaters) re-broadcast your existing Wi-Fi signal on a second SSID, effectively halving the available client bandwidth. In a mesh network, each network component uses some variable chunk of its bandwidth as "backhaul" to talk to other network components, and the rest to talk to clients. The network components also all share the same SSID, and clients can roam freely between them.

the last bit is not technically correct as they have the same bssid but i guess that would confuse things

------------------

so there is certainly a difference in what some claim to be mesh topology and what real mesh topology is

imho to be a true mesh system the ap's can work with or without ethernet backhaul , they communicate between them selves to become one big single entity as far as any client device is concerned

whereas if all ap's only communicate back to the main router via wifi its star topology

Last edited:
i dont think its actual mesh topology , looks like it works the same way the orbi system currently does in star topology with the added benefit that the range extender can be plugged in via ethernet and used as a wireless access point as well

Hard to tell - a couple of user guides isn't much to go on...

Its interest to note that these are basically a sandbox - e.g. it doesn't look like they route at all - based on the setup manual - and QCA does have they're stuff going on.

In any event, it's Europe only, so doubtful if we'll see much details here in the NA/LATAM or APAC markets...

Well yes but the OM5P-AC Dual Band 1.17 Gbps Access Point cost 115USD, wath my point was thath you get "3" OM5P 300 Mbps 5GHz Access Points for that price. But as you said its final :(

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!