What's new

StrongVPN - how to setup in openvpn?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Timt

New Around Here
Very little out there and it's frustrating because it seems that StrongVPN is suppressing the information because they sell Asus routers preinstalled with openvpn setting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Very little out there and it's frustrating because it seems that StrongVPN is suppressing the information because they sell Asus routers preinstalled with openvpn setting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
What router and what version of firmware are you using? This guide if for TorGuard, but it has helped PIA customers. Please let me know if it works for you as well.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/torguard-openvpn-2-4-client-setup-for-asus-merlin-380-65-380-65_2-part-i.38281/

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/torguard-openvpn-2-4-client-setup-for-asus-merlin-380-65-380-65_2-part-ii.38282/

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/torguard-openvpn-2-4-client-setup-for-asus-merlin-380-65-380-65_2-part-iii.38283/

Have you tried the simple solution which is to upload the ovpn file using the upload button in the VPN client section of Merlin?

Works for Astrill and SaferVPN. The only edit you might need to make is add your user name and password but from what I remember from when I used StrongerVPN is that you probably don't. Just down the ovpn file you create on their web site.

Tried both of your tips guys but it isn't working.

Xentrk: i'm on a ac68u, and I applied the changes you mentioned in part2

No matter what I try the "on" switch wont stick
any other suggestions?

Tried both of your tips guys but it isn't working.

Xentrk: i'm on a ac68u, and I applied the changes you mentioned in part2

No matter what I try the "on" switch wont stick
any other suggestions?
Not sure about Sabai OS...But on ASUS Merlin,
Go the field Authorization Mode on the OpenVPN Client gui page
Click on the "Content modification of Keys & Certificates" link
Sometimes during a firmware upgrade, the certificates disappear. If so, you will need to copy/paste it back in.

Check the System Log for messages.

I would first start with generating/creating a new ovpn configuration file though. I see the instsructions are on the Sabai OS Site
https://setup.sabaitechnology.com/hc/en-us/articles/204339070-OpenVPN-for-StrongVPN

I am flying blind on this one since your router OS is one I am not familiar with. Most of us on this forum use ASUS Merlin Firmware.

Last edited:
Xentrk, I'm using the latest Merlin firmware 65_2 on my asus ac68u

when I upload the StrongVpm ovpn file all perimeters fill in including the "Content modification of Keys & Certificates". The ovpn file also appear to enter some setting into "Custom Configuration" area including:

explicit-exit-notify 2
fragment 1390
hand-window 30
mssfix
mute 5
mute-replay-warnings
ns-cert-type server
register-dns
reneg-sec 0
route-delay 2
route-method exe
route-metric 1
topology subnet
tun-mtu 1500

when I save and try to turn it on, it refuses. However when I delete the "custom configuration" setting above and save, and press "on" it stays on but in the vpn status it shows as just "connecting".

any other thoughts?

Delete just the following entries from the custom config
hand-windows 30
register-dns
route-method exe
route-metric 1

In the gui, make sure
Cipher negotiation is set to disabled
Compression is set to LZO Adaptive
Accept DNS configuration is set to Strict

Give this a try. If this works, then try setting
Accept DNS configuration to Exclusive

Sorry @Timt , I thought you bought a pre-staged router through Strong's business partner.

I think @john9527 is on to something. I also had some configuration settings in Additonal Config in OpenVPN 2.3 section that no longer worked with OpenVPN 2.4. Removing those got everything working. Look for messages in the System Log. Do a Ctrl-F and enter openvpn. You can scroll through the messages. Hopefully you will see error or warning messages for those options that are no longer compatible with OpenVPN 2.4. Those are the ones to remove.

I am surprised StrongVPN does not have instructions for ASUS Routers. They are missing an important and large market! Probably the next best one to use as an example is for Tomato: https://strongvpn.com/setup-tomato-openvpn.html

John, Xentrk,

I deleted the entries and also tried "Accept DNS Configuration" to both Exclusive and Strict. Still just stalling. here is the system log:

Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10509]: Current Parameter Settings:
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10509]: config = 'config.ovpn'
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10509]: mode = 0
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10509]: persist_config = DISABLED
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10509]: persist_mode = 1
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10509]: NOTE: --mute triggered...
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10509]: 224 variation(s) on previous 5 message(s) suppressed by --mute
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10509]: OpenVPN 2.4.0 arm-unknown-linux-gnu [SSL (OpenSSL)] [LZO] [LZ4] [EPOLL] [MH/PKTINFO] [AEAD] built on Mar 10 2017
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10509]: library versions: OpenSSL 1.0.2k 26 Jan 2017, LZO 2.08
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10510]: NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10510]: Outgoing Control Channel Authentication: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10510]: Incoming Control Channel Authentication: Using 160 bit message hash 'SHA1' for HMAC authentication
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10510]: LZO compression initializing
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10510]: Control Channel MTU parms [ L:1626 D:1184 EF:66 EB:0 ET:0 EL:3 ]
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10510]: Data Channel MTU parms [ L:1626 D:1390 EF:126 EB:407 ET:0 EL:3 ]
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10510]: Fragmentation MTU parms [ L:1626 D:1390 EF:125 EB:407 ET:1 EL:3 ]
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10510]: Local Options String (VER=V4): 'V4,dev-type tun,link-mtu 1562,tun-mtu 1500,proto UDPv4,comp-lzo,mtu-dynamic,keydir 1,cipher AES-256-CBC,auth SHA1,keysize 256,tls-auth,key-method 2,tls-client'
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10510]: Expected Remote Options String (VER=V4): 'V4,dev-type tun,link-mtu 1562,tun-mtu 1500,proto UDPv4,comp-lzo,mtu-dynamic,keydir 0,cipher AES-256-CBC,auth SHA1,keysize 256,tls-auth,key-method 2,tls-server'
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10510]: TCP/UDP: Preserving recently used remote address: [AF_INET]91.148.211.253:1194
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10510]: Socket Buffers: R=[122880->122880] S=[122880->122880]
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10510]: UDP link local: (not bound)
Mar 30 12:38:04 openvpn[10510]: UDP link remote: [AF_INET]91.148.211.253:1194

Delete just the following entries from the custom config
hand-windows 30
register-dns
route-method exe
route-metric 1

In the gui, make sure
Cipher negotiation is set to disabled
Compression is set to LZO Adaptive
Accept DNS configuration is set to Strict

Give this a try. If this works, then try setting
Accept DNS configuration to Exclusive

Did you ever have this working on 380.64 release? Can you post a snip of your web GUI OpenVPN Client page?

Also, on the LAN tab, DHCP server, what settings do you have in the DNS and WINS Server section? You may want to try putting your router IP address in DNS Server 1 field.

I have seen this behavior before. It was usually after a firmware upgrade. The certificate was not retained and I had to copy/paste it back in.

Last edited:
Folks,

I tried to get OpenVPN working with my Asus RT-AC68U today. No luck. In a chat session StrongVPN, I was told that OpenVPN does not work well with stock Asus firmware. The StongVPN rep. urged me to install Merlin on my Asus router.

Folks,

I tried to get OpenVPN working with my Asus RT-AC68U today. No luck. In a chat session StrongVPN, I was told that OpenVPN does not work well with stock Asus firmware. The StongVPN rep. urged me to install Merlin on my Asus router.

It works fine with Merlin. Never tried the stock ASUS.

Just download the ovpn configuration file for Linux/MAC to your PC, import the ovpn file into client1 on your router running Merlin, then just edit/add the user name and password for this file into your configuration. THIS IS NOT YOUR USER NAME AND PASSWORD FOR StrongVPN. Turn the service state on and your VPN should be active. Adjust what you need to such as start with WAN, policy routing, etc.

Folks,

Same results, did you find a solution? i'm on Merlin btw, same results

Last edited:
Same results, did you find a solution?
I did not pursue this. It was not convenient to install Merlin on that particular router, so I used a different VPN protocol to get StrongVPN going there. PPTP or some such.

By the way, I have Merlin installed on a different RT-AC68U and it is working fine. If you are going to pursue this solution, please post your results here. I would like to know if the StrongVPN rep. was telling the truth.

I did not pursue this. It was not convenient to install Merlin on that particular router, so I used a different VPN protocol to get StrongVPN going there. PPTP or some such.

By the way, I have Merlin installed on a different RT-AC68U and it is working fine. If you are going to pursue this solution, please post your results here. I would like to know if the StrongVPN rep. was telling the truth.

I'm on Merlin 380.68 and its not working...

can you post your config and custom settings?

Im pretty sure it was working, suddenly its not.

I'm on Merlin 380.68 and its not working...

can you post your config and custom settings?

Im pretty sure it was working, suddenly its not.

It is very simple and straight forward.

1. Pick which server you want to use.

2. Download the OVPN file that is for LINUX/MAC which also is listed for manual router setup.

3. Use the username and password that StrongVPN gave you for that configuration. It is not your user name and password for StrongVPN and changes when you change servers.

4. Start.

It is very simple and straight forward.

1. Pick which server you want to use.

2. Download the OVPN file that is for LINUX/MAC which also is listed for manual router setup.

3. Use the username and password that StrongVPN gave you for that configuration. It is not your user name and password for StrongVPN and changes when you change servers.

4. Start.

Already done that, not working, is it working with you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Already done that, not working, is it working with you?

It has been working for 39 days nonstop without a glitch. I have been using StrongVPN since May without issues, but after trying PIA it is faster so it will be my primary VPN client.

It has been working for 39 days nonstop without a glitch. I have been using StrongVPN since May without issues, but after trying PIA it is faster so it will be my primary VPN client.

Can you please try it now?

Can you please try it now?

It is running on Client 1 and it is working fine. PIA is on Client 5.