What's new

Stumped... please help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jmgustin

New Around Here
Trying to transfer data from one NAS to another w/o PC as middleman.

Found this link on SNB, which pretty closely matches what I am trying to do: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-howto/30885-how-to-back-up-nas-to-nas-part-4?start=1

Source NAS: Seagate BlackArmor N110 | Firmware 1000.0361
Target NAS: Buffalo Linkstation LS421DE | 2x WD Red 4TB in RAID1 configuration | Firmware 1.81-0.03

I have done all the steps in accordance w/ the how-to. Things are good with the IP and alias info, but I am getting hung up when I test the connection or start the transfer:

"Cannot connect to server. Login error. Please check username and password"

I did all the steps for the share folder on the Buffalo (ensuring it has Disk Backup enabled, and using the same password there as the admin password). It gives me this error when running either the Scheduled Backup, or NAS to NAS. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• seagate.JPG
    seagate.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 610
Buffalo supports rsync only between other Buffalo NASes.

The article I linked to shows the Buffalo as an rsync target from Synology NAS... It won't work as a source, for certain.

Granted, it's an older firmware, but there seems to have been a way at some point.

This might be a good time to consider data backup methods. That is how to backup data AND be able to recover that data. If you have a functional data back up plan this question would be a non-issue.

Having said above. Two possible suggestions:

1) Are you able to setup FTP on both machines then send the data via FTP? If yes it would be easiest to zip / tar the data into files then send the compressed files.

2) Have a PC in the middle to copy the data from one mapped drive to another. Something like drive O for Old Drive, drive N for new drive. Then setup a copy routine, let it run & go watch a few long movies. Come back and run some file compares

KenZ71 -
Point taken on the backup plan. What I left out of my OP was the motivation for the setup in general. I am trying to migrate data in order to retire the BA. This configuration is primarily for home file sharing and as a media server.

SO, I had started with your second suggestion, but that was going to take ages, and in the meantime was putting some serious strain on my modest home network. I had found that rsync allows you to write from server to server while cutting out the middleman (the PC). The sourcelink in my OP tried to leverage the built in backup programs in the NAS firmware to do this w/o diving into Linux.

Both drives have FTP servers, but I am not sure how to set one up as the client. Happy to pursue that if anyone has any advice... I think it would make sense to have the Buffalo as the client, based on my goals.

Thanks again

The article I linked to shows the Buffalo as an rsync target from Synology NAS... It won't work as a source, for certain.

Granted, it's an older firmware, but there seems to have been a way at some point.
Sorry, I should read my own article...

Are you sure you have the correct volume name for the Buffalo NAS? It looks like you are using "array1".
You must use the volume name used in the Buffalo NAS.

From the article:
Note that I also highlighted the Volume name, which you'll need, since Buffalo uses a combination of the volume and backup folder name to create the rsync module name. The form volumename_foldername is used.

Note that volumename differs across Buffalo NASes. Figure 2 shows a LinkStation LS-XHL, which uses "Disk 1". A Buffalo TeraStation Duo, on the other hand, uses a volume name of "Array 1", which you would enter as array1 when creating the rsync module name.

Are you sure you have the correct volume name for the Buffalo NAS? It looks like you are using "array1".
You must use the volume name used in the Buffalo NAS.
From the article:

This was the first snag that I ran into... when I had the volume name wrong, there was a different error - something to do with "Incorrect Alias" or something similar.

Array1 is the name of the Buffalo volume, and test2 was the target share folder. Disk backup selected for test2.

Sorry, I have no other suggestions. Sounds like Buffalo changed the rsync password or account name.

So I think my best option at this point is to plug my laptop and the two drives into an off-network router, set up the copy, and let her cook...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!