What's new

Stupid question can one single router cover a 1900 sq ft house by itself ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Too many variables. What are walls made of? Is there tile in the middle? Is the router located in the middle? etc....

What signal quality do you expect? Some people are happy with low levels and not much bandwidth.

Is that 1900 sq ft house a 2-story, a ranch, etc. The shape of the house is a factor.

Too many variables. What are walls made of? Is there tile in the middle? Is the router located in the middle? etc....

What signal quality do you expect? Some people are happy with low levels and not much bandwidth.

Sorry don't work in construction so not sure and I am stupid when it comes to that :(

Signal quality I want at least medium.

Oh yeah the placement of the router would be in the middle of the house or as close as I can get to the middle.

If so which ones ?

A single transmitting wireless device may cover your entire city, no issues with that.
The issues start when client devices have to communicate back to the transmitting device.

In other words, you may get the best WiFi router available, but is your laptop on the other side of the house through 3 walls will be able to communicate with this router? Even if the router's transmit power is 1000mW, your laptop's WiFi card transmit power is still the same 10mW. WiFi is a 2-way communication. Radio stations to radio receivers is 1-way communication.

Even if you provide all the details about your place, the only sure method to find out if it is going to work is to try. There are too many variables in this equation, no one can give you definitive answer. A piece of furniture with large metal parts, a microwave oven, a noisy electronic device, a large fridge, etc. may negatively affect WiFi performance.

It depends on many variable, so this question can't have an exact answer. My experience on this is any decent mid-high end router will be enough to cover whole 1 story house if it is put in the middle of the story at good position. In my home country, walls are all made from concrete, and routers like Archer C2300, R7800 can pretty much cover the whole 2000-2500 sq ft floor. However, for multi-story house, nothing can.

R7800 can pretty much cover the whole 2000-2500 sq ft floor.

That thing is expensive (about CAD400 here in Canada), but one hell of a router. I've played with a few, constant stellar performance.

It depends on many variable, so this question can't have an exact answer. My experience on this is any decent mid-high end router will be enough to cover whole 1 story house if it is put in the middle of the story at good position. In my home country, walls are all made from concrete, and routers like Archer C2300, R7800 can pretty much cover the whole 2000-2500 sq ft floor. However, for multi-story house, nothing can.

It depends on the 'house'. And the network environment. ;)

RT-AC3100 Report https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

And that was back in 2016 too, over three years ago.

That thing is expensive (about CAD400 here in Canada), but one hell of a router. I've played with a few, constant stellar performance.
I agree, but my R7800 performance significantly drop performance when Guest network is enabled. This is the only flaw I experience in this router sample. Still, I used C2300 as the main router instead since it has better overall local network performance.

It depends on the 'house'. And the network environment. ;)

RT-AC3100 Report https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

And that was back in 2016 too, over three years ago.
That is for sure, so no one can have an answer for op case. I just want to let op know some routers can do it in some specific or ideal scenario.

I agree, but my R7800 performance significantly drop performance when Guest network is enabled.

Hmm, never tried it with Guest network enabled. Shouldn't be any difference in theory. Firmware flaw, perhaps. They'll fix it.