Stupid question

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by HackitZ, Jan 21, 2013.

1. HackitZ

HackitZ Occasional Visitor

(solved) Stupid question about updating firmware

Sorry for the stupid questions but i could not find the answer after an hour reading posts about merlins firmware.

1. can this just be flashed like a normal update? or do we need to do the 30/30/30 reset. (i'm an old dd-wrt user)

2. depending on how we flash will will loose all our settings? and / or can we restore a backup of our settings?

Thank You

Great work by the way. Stock ROM on steroids. maybe the build should be called live strong? LOL

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. jerry6

jerry6 Senior Member

it can be done like normal software , if you go from 32mb to 64mb version you will lose your settings , other than that no problems

4. HackitZ

HackitZ Occasional Visitor

Ok i downloaded the software last night and did not see anything about 32mb or 64mb. what does that mean?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

5. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

If you have an RT-N66U and your firmware is older than 3.0.0.4.220, then you will have to reconfigure everything as Asus changed the settings storage method.

This doesn't apply to the RT-AC66U, your settings will always be preserved.

6. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

Interesting trivia: in the early days, as this was just "Merlin's build", I was considering to call this "Asuswrt Regrowth", as a reference to the fact that Asuswrt is based on Tomato, except they took away some features, and my initial work was to "grow back" some of these features into the firmware. Since everyone were already referring to it as "Merlin's firmware", I figured I would avoid confusion by just going with Asuswrt-Merlin.