What's new

Success Verizon 4G USB551L & RTT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

radionerd

New Around Here
I have been attempting to connect a Verizon 4G LTE USB551L to a RT-N66U. I have looked all over the interwebs, but found no encouraging info. I was successful using Asus latest build 3.0.0.4.270. The Modem was setup, and it worked good in a Cradlepoint MBR-900, and ZVW access. After trying a bunch of settings in the RT-N66U, and messing it up. I was finally successful with the following settings:

Enable USB Modem Yes
Location USA
ISP Verizon
APN service VZWINTERNET
Dial Number *99***3#
PIN code
Username
Password
USB Adapter Auto

All other fields were left blank. Reboot, and it works great. Up to 22 Mbps downloads. Speed is between 9Mbps and 22.

I will now flash back to Merlin build, Tomato, and report back in this thread.

Attachments

• 2-2-2013 5-56-21 PM.jpg
    2-2-2013 5-56-21 PM.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 2,511
Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.266.24 BETA 2

The USB551l 4G Modem works with Asuswrt-Merlin 3.0.0.4.266.24 BETA 2

I tried these setting with my Galaxy Nexus and it isn't working, any ideas as to why? The device shows as Galaxy Nexus in the router but no settings I've tried have worked..

Maybe it's detecting the 3G CDMA radio instead of the LTE radio...

Need help connecting Verizon 4G LTE USB551L to a RT-N66U

I could use some help connecting my Verizon 4G LTE USB551L to a RT-N66U. Firmware ver 3.0.0.4.270

Windows 7 64 bit

My usb551l can connect fine through VZacess Manager. When I plug the modem into the asus router and try to connect 3g applications nothing happens. :(

Enable USB Modem Yes
Location USA
ISP Verizon
APN service VZWINTERNET
Dial Number 501*******#
PIN code
Username
Password
USB Adapter Auto

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Sorry to necro but i've had an interest in getting this to work as well. I tried copying the settings from the first post and that didn't work. Neither did the settings from the post right before mine. Anyone get this to work (USB551 4g w/ Verizon)?

Modem, ofc, connects fine using VZ Access.

Success!!

Finally got it working. I have a T-Mobile cellspot, which I hacked to take in asus firmware. I then download the latest merlin firmware and use asus firmware recovery tools to flash 3.0.0.4.378.50 version

then in the setting. I input exactly what radionerd posted originally:

Enable USB Modem Yes
Location USA
ISP Verizon
APN service VZWINTERNET
Dial Number *99***3#
PIN code
Username
Password
USB Adapter Auto

Now, I did not work for me the 1st few try, I plug the USB back to my computer and use Verizon software attempt to connect. Then I realized that the signal was too weak to connect hence it failed while plugged into the router. I set the router to enable WIFI and move the router to a spot where I know signal was a little better.

Then log back into the router and apply the USB setting again. This time the blue light stay on and I now have internet.

Waiting for my high gain antenna to come before I can cancel comcast!.

Credits to the original poster. Thanks!

Success

I'd been meaning to test out the Asus' ability to use a USB Modem for a few months.

I plugged in my Android cell-phone and used TonyVH's settings and it worked.

Stock (latest) firmware and the Asus RT-N56U.

It *did* identify as a 3G modem which wasn't an issue in my case since I would not use this as my primary connection.

-Morgan

Has anyone tried this with the ASUS RT-AC68U. I have the Verizon 551L and I've tried the setups here and nothing seems to work on it. Talked to ASUS about it, and that got me nowhere.

I am also wanting to get my pantech uml290 to work in the ac68u. Purchased this router a while back and could not get it to work. Returned it. Verizon is my only source of internet where I live. I would buy it again in a sec if I could get it to work with this 4g modem

Has anyone tried this with the ASUS RT-AC68U. I have the Verizon 551L and I've tried the setups here and nothing seems to work on it. Talked to ASUS about it, and that got me nowhere.
Did you ever get this to work?

I have a Cradlepoint MBR1200 that I've been using forever. My needs have changed to need a router that can act as a NAS in my taxi cab for a kodi box so customers can use my extensive music video/concerts as well as my slingbox via the verizon network. I tried using my laptop to serve as the file share server but it isn't fast enough for the DVD VOB file transfer. I love my RT-ac68 router at home but if it's not compatible with verizon's 551L it's a no go for my upgrade in the car.

I did purchase the RT-AC68P again with the above settings and has been working for months. Very happy with the router. Signal seems to kick out once a day or so but I think that is on the Verizon end. Much better range and features than the MBR95 I had.

I did purchase the RT-AC68P again with the above settings and has been working for months. Very happy with the router. Signal seems to kick out once a day or so but I think that is on the Verizon end. Much better range and features than the MBR95 I had.

I agree on the range. I was able to get mine to work on the AC68P as well as the N66R, just not apparently with the latest merlin or asus firmware. It seems to be turning off the LTE radio each time it tries to connect, which requires a reflash of the novatel firmware. I did find out that if you use verizon's default settings with the second to the last firmware it does the same thing. Setting it to other on the country options, and setting the device option to the UTMS setting corrects the reflashing problem with the 378.55 firmware.

I have noticed that the connection seems to pause often, meaning I get timeouts on web surfing or buffering on my videos... Anyone else experienced this? Were you able to fix it?

Temping to run my cradle point as the internet point as it never had these issues and use the asus as the main router.

Does anyone have a script to reconnect if pinging is null or extremely high?

Both the AC68P and the N66R that I just bought are having problems staying connected. The blue light will go solid and not blink again, requiring a reboot of the router to get connected again. Not sure why this is doing this, but it's making me rethink my network infrastructure.

Someone had mentioned to me about using a usb connection dock that has a Cat5 connection on it that would act the same way my home's cable modem is plugged into the AC68's internet connection. But I can't find anything like that. The closest thing I've found is the TL-MR3040, which is in itself a router/ap/wisp. I could use my cradle point mbr1200 for the same thing but it's an extra bulk in my cab.

My MBR1200 has an agressive mode to make sure if the 551L disconnects from the tower it'll try reconnecting without me having to restart the router. As well as reconnect on high ping thresholds.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!