What's new

Suggested replacement for WRT54G?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

speedlever

Regular Contributor
A couple of years ago I bought an Asus RT-N66U and promptly put the then current version of Merlin's software on it. I moved my old WRT54G to the other side of the house, ran a cat 5e cable to one of the LAN ports, turned off DHCP and let it extend my wireless coverage. I pretty much have left it all alone since then.

Now I'm getting the itch to replace the WRT54G with something dual band... and after reading the thread about using an AC router to boost N devices, I'm consider an inexpensive (<$100) AC router.

I considered buying another N66U but thought for the same money (~$100) I could get an AC router. I think I'll leave the current N66U as my main router and put the new one in place of the old WRT54G.

Both routers live in probably the absolute worst environment possible. The N66U lives behind my dual monitors in a corner office on the first floor and the WRT54G lives in the opposite side corner behind a 48" TV.

I named the SSIDs different so I can manually switch to the stronger signal when I'm in that part of the house. I don't want to pay for the tech that will keep me on the strongest signal!

What would you suggest to replace the WRT54G?
- DIR-850L
-EA-6900
- Archer C7-AC1750 (v2 is cheaper than C8 and seems to perform better)?
- AC-66U
- other option?

I thought I had saved notes about how I setup the WRT54G, but now can't find them. I thought I set the IP at 192.168.2.1 but can't seem to get on to check the settings.

That's the problem with figuring stuff out then not messing with it for a long time. I have to learn it all over again. Sigh. Where are those darn notes when you need them?

BTW, I have gigabit fiber ethernet and it routinely tests out around 900 Mbps down and 30 Mbps up. While I only have N devices in the house, many are dual band and with streaming becoming more and more popular, I'd like to up my capability.

I just wish I could get an affordable gigabit router with at least 6 gigabit ports.

RT-AC56U.

Search this site with my name and the model above. ;)

What would you suggest to replace the WRT54G?
you know what i would do

replace the n66u with something like an asus rt-acxxx

look at

rt-ac68u
rt-ac3200
rt-ac3100
rt-ac88u

you may find that just a single unit above will cover all your needs without the need for a second access point

if you then find out you need more you can ether use the n66u down stairs or get a second rt-ac router

you know what i would do

replace the n66u with something like an asus rt-acxxx

look at

rt-ac68u
rt-ac3200
rt-ac3100
rt-ac88u

you may find that just a single unit above will cover all your needs without the need for a second access point

if you then find out you need more you can ether use the n66u down stairs or get a second rt-ac router

pete,

Every one of those are budget busting options. The least expensive one is over $180!

Given the placement, I don't see how I'm going to get away from using two units. While I can get a 2.4 GHz signal (not 5.0 GHz) in the upstairs bedroom at the opposite end of the house, it's not very usable with the current N66U. But perfectly fine with the old WRT54G positioned in the room directly underneath downstairs.

Now I could get an inexpensive AC router and move the N66U to the spot where the WRT54G resides. But I'm not sure I'd gain anything by swapping out my main N66U for an AC unit in that scenario.

More research is needed!

Given the placement, I don't see how I'm going to get away from using two units.

i can assure you a decent wireless ac router covers a far greater area than any wireless N router you have used

see the info below tested at 25 meters through 3 walls

5 gig upper band ch 153

dlink dir-880L read 21.1 write 15.5 sync 234M
tp link archer c9 read 20.5 write 15.8 sync 175M
asus rt-ac87u read 14.3 write 12.6 sync 175.5M
dlink dsl-2900al read 19.9 write 17.5 sync 263M
tp link archer D9 read 15.2 write 9.4 sync 117M
dlink dir-890L read 19.3 write 15.1 sync 175.5M
asus rt-ac68u read 15.6 write 17.5 sync 234M
asus dsl-ac68u read 21.9 write 14.8 sync 175M
netgear r7000 read 21.0 write 17.4 sync 234M
asus rt-ac3200 read 14.5 write sync 117M
synology rt1900ac read 1.77MB/s write 4.27MB/s

netgear wndr 3800 read 1.3 write 1.29 sync 270M

the netgear wndr 3800 is an example of a wireless n router as compared to the wireless AC routers above

below is the 2.4 gig at the same 25 meters

2.4 GIG ch 1

dlink dir-880L read 8.05 write 9.2 sync 243M
tp link archer c9 read 8.5 write 8.7 sync 216M
asus rt-ac87u read 6.8 write 11.5 sync 324M
dlink dsl-2900al read 5.7 write 6.75 sync 162M
tp link archer D9 read 8.1 write 8.5 sync 216M
dlink dir-890L read 5.92 write 8.7M sync 173M ( no ability to disable obss coexistance)
asus rt-ac68u read 5.32 write 8.32 sync 243M
asus dsl-ac68u read 9.45 write 10.6 sync 216M
netgear r7000 read 13.2 write 11.9 sync 270M
fritzbox 7490 read write sync 108M failed to complete transfer in ether direction
asus rt-ac3200 read 9.5write 7.2 sync 81.5M
synology rt1900ac read 1.96MB/s write 1.88MB/s

netgear wndr 3800 read 5.84 write 4.2M sync 130M

-----------------------------

so you can see the 5 gig is a great improvement

see the info above and it might convince you that no matter what its worth taking the set to AC

Is it just me or is the forum having issues? I'm having major delays getting the site to respond and even the contact us link at the bottom isn't working.

However, Pingplotter doesn't show any issues reaching the site.

??

Edit: looks like the site issues have been resolved.

Last edited:
pete,

That is interesting info.

Is there no love for the Archer C9? It seems to perform well per your data. And I can pick it up for $110 from Amazon.

To be fair, the signal would have to pass through multiple walls and the floor to reach my 2nd story bedroom. I thought the N66U might do it, but not on 5GHz. And barely on 2.4GHz. I get far better results using the WRT54G which sits in the room beneath my bedroom.

When in range, the 5GHz radio runs circles around the 2.4GHz radio.

I would probably gain some benefit by moving the router on top of the bookcase in my office and out from behind the monitor, but the power cord won't reach that high and I'd have to actually do some work and make some longer patch cables. ;)

pure wireless performance wise its ok but its routing functionality and gui are quite limiting and many here will tell you that tp link does not really do a lot in the way of after sales support and fw upgrades and the fw they use contains older flawed coding that really should be updated

and yes the web site is playing up something shocking atm

Hmm. I see your point. And I do enjoy Merlin's work.

However, I still need a more budget friendly option than any of those 4 you suggested. Really, I can get by with what I have. But I have an itch that wants to be scratched, but only with limited scratch, if you catch my drift.

So I'll ponder on it and maybe something will pop-up that will scratch my itch without breaking the bank.

The RT-AC56U can be picked up on sale between $50 and $100 depending on your location. Well within you budget and the best scratch for your itch, imo. :)

Here are the posts I didn't have time to track previously for you.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-55-3_hgg-final-mod.26524/page-2#post-199549

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-380-57-hgg-final.29548/page-23#post-237427

With the RT-AC56U available with RMerlin firmware support (and the forks based off of it too), I do not see a reason to consider the other options with the limitations already pointed out.

You could always get a dedicated router and an AP seperately. Essentially the dedicated router may use a switch instead. Mikrotik actually has a qualcomm ARM router implementation that comes with 10 ports and 1 SFP port including a POE out port but than you would need your own AP and thats if you are capable of configuring it. Considering some AC wifi routers and APs (including ubiquiti/mikrotik indoor) cost less than $100.

The AC88U has 8 ports (4 through a seperate switch). Other choice is to just get a consumer wifi router you can afford and a dumb 8 port switch which would be cheap. Just remember that even terrible brands like d-link, tp-link and linksys can be good with 3rd party firmware but you lose hardware acceleration ability for your gigabit internet. How can you have gigabit internet and not be able to afford good hardware? Normally asus firmware is pretty stable if you need hardware acceleration.

Your required forwarding speed is 930Mb/s (really your upload ratio sucks really bad - 30:1 :O). That ratio is so bad that its like your ISP thinks most of its network traffic comes from you uploaders and it feels very stingy of the ISP.

This site is really acting up today. I'll try to post as best I can in response.

L&LD, I found some of that by searching on your username. Thanks for that info. I'll certainly consider the AC56U.

SEM, to answer your last question, my local provider brought fiber to the house several years ago and sometime back upgraded me from 30/30 to gigabit/30... and for less money. I cannot complain!

I don't recall what sparked my interest in doing this test a few weeks ago, but thought it rather humorous what TWC (TimeWarnerCable) was offering in comparison:

rdOh3Uw.png

PDL92Dc.png

Now I don't know why I never thought about adding an inexpensive switch. That would be perfect for the few extra ports I need. I'll have to see what's available in gigabit port switches.

And besides, when is the RT-N66U not good hardware? ;)

I just looked this one up. The only issue (and perhaps a non-issue at that) is that this is a N router and I was wanting to go with an AC router... especially after reading what Tim had to say about using an AC router in an N environement.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...oes-an-ac-router-improve-n-device-performance

The RT-AC56U can be picked up on sale between $50 and $100 depending on your location. Well within you budget and the best scratch for your itch, imo. :)

Here are the posts I didn't have time to track previously for you.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-55-3_hgg-final-mod.26524/page-2#post-199549

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-380-57-hgg-final.29548/page-23#post-237427

With the RT-AC56U available with RMerlin firmware support (and the forks based off of it too), I do not see a reason to consider the other options with the limitations already pointed out.

Now I don't know why I never thought about adding an inexpensive switch. That would be perfect for the few extra ports I need. I'll have to see what's available in gigabit port switches.

And besides, when is the RT-N66U not good hardware? ;)

When it is compared to the better RT-AC68U (even the 'original' 800MHz processor model).

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/is-the-rt-ac68u-a-good-replacement-for-a-rt-n66u.30303/#post-237039

Note that the RT-AC56U and the RT-AC68U have the same base hardware minus external and one extra antennae on the RT-AC68U.

Both give noticeably better network performance (even wired) over the N class RT-N66U.

If all you need is a switch to increase your port count, buy the cheapest non-managed 5 or 8 port 1GbE switch you have access to.

Well, not only the increased port count, but also a dual band router too. But ok, I see what you mean about the N66U.. but that was such an upgrade over the WRT54G!

Well, there's always that itch to upgrade. But I've been very happy with the N66U so I think this will hold me for a while. In fact, I had another application where I needed to replace a second WRT54G and ordered a 2nd AC56U. For $70, that seems pretty good bang for the buck.

Is it current state-of-the-art? No. Will I know the difference? Probably not. ;)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!